Error Report: Not sure what's wrong? Reproducible 2127409646

Trying to bookmark this page in Zotero:
http://sloanreview.mit.edu/beyond-green/flourishing-forever/

Clicking "create new item from current page", then changing the type from web page to interview caused an error. 2127409646

Then tried to create a blog entry, and from the attachments pane chose add>take snapshot. Got error 2003260800.

What's up?

The page seems to be successfully archived as a web page item from the first step above.
  • Whoa... now I'm told the database appears to have become corrupted when I try to delete the offending entries bookmarking the above page. So I restarted firefox as suggested. it restored from backup.

Running firefox 3.0.13, OSX 10.5.8, zotero 1.0.10

Other info: the zotero folder is being synced by dropbox and used by two machines with the same software setup. The other firefox was not running when this occurred.

Can't delete these entries!!
  • You can use the DB Repair Tool.

Did you previously use this database with Firefox 2.0? If so, you probably have leftover corruption from that, as it had database corruption problems. If not, it would likely be something involving your use of Dropbox, such as having Firefox open on more than one machine at any earlier point.
  • Thanks for the quick reply as usual Dan. Reverting to yesterday's backup of the database worked. I will use the DB repair tool to be extra sure.

I am going to have to review my use of dropbox. I can't live without having everything instantly backed up and synced between two computers. It was the source of yesterday's backup. But if it is causing the corruption issue I'm torn between two really great pieces of software.

This db was only used with 3.0 and higher - FYI my previous error report:
    http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/7897/couldnt-upgrade-database-error-1760186086/#Item_4

Question: Is there a best practice for upgrading Zotero or Firefox when using Dropbx in this way? If you update on one machine and it changes the db, how do you update the software on the other machine without letting the second zotero touch the already changed database?
  • Dropbox certainly isn't officially supported, but if you're very careful to only have Firefox open on one machine at a time, it should theoretically work. Can't guarantee it, though.
    If you update on one machine and it changes the db, how do you update the software on the other machine without letting the second zotero touch the already changed database?
    If the new version of Zotero upgrades the database in an incompatible way, the older version of Zotero won't start on the second machine and you'll get the yellow exclamation mark and error message. At that point you can update Zotero there.

If the upgrade doesn't update the database, then it won't be a problem.
  • I don't want to abuse your time and attention... but I couldn't use the db repair tool. It said "The file you uploaded is too big to process. The maximum upload size is 50MB" my db is 66mb.

The warning on the page says the limit is 70mb.

Is there an alternative to repairing my db other than the manual route (which I fear treading down...)?
  • Send an e-mail to support@zot....org, with a link to this thread, and we can provide a download URL for your repaired database. It went through on the server but timed out before it provided you with the URLs.
  • Fantastic. Thank you very much. I've not encountered another software company/org which has better customer support. Honestly.

Cheers.