copy updated pdf into existing folder or 'attach stored copy of file' again

Working on Boox Note, I am aware of Zoo for zotero and it works great for the library but it does not like syncing with my particular webdav (Cloudme). So i download the pdf files to read (through google drive), annotate and save again (different older in google drive) - all using FolderSync.

Getting the annotated pdf files back into Zotero there seem to be two options, either I copy the pdf back into the zotero folder for this item on my laptop (same file name but newer date) or I delete the un-annotated one and repeat the 'attach stored copy of file'.
The second option works well but is cumbersome. The first would be better but is simply copying the new file into the folder on my laptop then recognised in the sync process with the webdav server (ie not sure what metadata is there in zotero that determines a 'newer' file other than the file date).
Many thanks, Uwe
  • not sure what metadata is there in zotero that determines a 'newer' file other than the file date
    It uses the file modification time (and, after that, the file having changed since it was last downloaded).