Vista 64-bit pdfinfo error

Working on Vista 64-bit, Z2.0b6.5, after upgrading FF to 3.5 when I add a PDF (or simply try to re-index it) I receive a message like "pdfinfo-win32.exe is not a valid Win32 application" (I can't report the exact english text cause the message is in italian). The file seems correctly indexed however. Other installations with previous versions of FF work fine.
  • Try deleting the two .exe files from your Zotero data directory, restarting Firefox, and reinstalling via the Search pane of the Zotero preferences.
  • Thanks, Dan, but it didn't work. Is there a different file for 64bit?
  • Well I can't say we've ever tried the binaries on 64-bit Vista, but they are valid Win32 apps. What happens if you double-click on pdfinfo from Explorer (ideally nothing), or run it via the command line?
  • It gives the same error, while nothing happens when I doubleclick pdftotext-win32.exe. It is the same if I run it as adiministrator
  • I get the same error and it basically prevents me from using Zotero to manage my PDFs. Every time I add a PDF I get this error, and if I try to have Zotero retrieve metata I again get the error and nothing happens. FYI - I am using Windows 7 with Firefox 4, which currently only exists as 32bit version. I suspect that might be the reason for the error, Zotero tries to execute the Win32 program under 64bit because it is located inside the Roaming Profile directory and not the Program Files (x86).
    ;-(
  • as long as you keep getting the error I'd recommend just deleting the files (the .exe s that is) it's a little annoying, but unless you're in the process of putting your pdfs into Zotero not having the functionality is annoying but not prohibitive.
  • "unless you're in the process of putting your pdfs into Zotero not having the functionality is annoying but not prohibitive"

A good joke that one!
    I just installed Zotero and was going to put all my PDFs (several hundreds) into Zotero. Since retrieving metadata does not work that whole exercise now turns out to be completely redundant and Zotero is therefore completely useless for managing my PDFs.

"annoying but not prohibitive"?

Well, I would call that "annoying and definitely prohibitive"!!!
  • I was merely making a suggestion - and I was being very clear that I only regarded it as helpful for certain circumstances - no way of knowing whether those applied to you or not.

People here are trying to help you. They do it for free and mostly in their spare time. You're more likely to get help if you treat them respectfully.
  • "Try deleting the two .exe files from your Zotero data directory, restarting Firefox, and reinstalling via the Search pane of the Zotero preferences."

I just did this again now and lo and behold: It works!!!
    Seems that the version I had installed was an older one and the new updates did take care of the problem.

Great ;-)
  • Dear Adam,
    I am sorry if I offended you, this was not my intention. But how is a comment helpful that basically says I should simply ignore the problem?
    Your are essentially suggesting I am being obstinate because I am asking for a solution to a core functionality of Zotero. Without retrieving metadata for PDFs it essentially makes no sense using it to database PDFs.
    I appreciate your time, as anyone's on this forum, but suggesting I should simply ignore a major bug instead of asking for a solution is not really respectful either.
    Fortunately the whole issue got resolved
    Cheers,
    Frank

PS: Here is how it works -
    (1) With Firefox open find the Zotero Data Directory.
    (2) Delete both pdftotext.exe AND pdfinfo.exe
    (3) Close Firefox
    (4) Restart Firefox
    (5) In Zotero select Preferences from the little wheel icon
    (6) Select the "Search" tab
    (7) Under PDF Indexing you wlll be told it is not installed
    (8) Download and install with the button
    There you go...(works now ;-)
  • edited April 28, 2011
    Your are essentially suggesting I am being obstinate
    No, he's not. And adamsmith's suggestion was helpful in that it suggested a way to get rid of the error when adding a PDF (which would be fine if you didn't really need the retrieve PDF metadata feature). He didn't know that you wanted to use Zotero for exactly this feature, or that reinstalling the plugins would fix the issue on your computer.

But rest assured, both adamsmith and I are happy you got it working :).
  • Frank Bungartz, cheers for the 8 bullets explaining how to solve this issue. Works for me now!