Web Sites or Blogs or Magazine or Journal Articles?

I'm having a bit of trouble with categorizing articles on websites with Zotero. In 2020, there are now many article-producing websites. They are not really blogs, but more like online magazines. I think of them as online publications. But Zotero doesn't really have an "online article" category, and I don't want to categorize the article as a "web site". Zotero's choices for these cases seem to be limited only to "web site", blog post, magazine article, journal article, newspaper article, etc. Is anyone else feeling that online articles don't really have a good Zotero pigeon hole? Should I be looking into how to create a new pigeon hole? Deepest apologies for not being able to find this discussion in earlier forum posts. Thank you.
  • If they are an academic outlet, go with Journal Article. Otherwise, Magazine Article is usually a good fit.
  • I agree with the OP, and have come here looking for answers. I want to cite an article by Stephen Waltz published by Foreign Policy that is not part of any of their physical volumes/issues but is only online. I fear it is a reflection of citation guidelines (i.e. Chicago, APA, etc.) not having a clear recommendation on these types of articles as well. I almost feel that Blog Post applies better, and that is what Zotero connector in Chrome identified it as. Not a citation expert though, so I may go with magazine article as you suggested.
  • I'd love to hear from others as to how you have resolved this, in particular when a general-interest publication exists only in online form. Best choices seem to be blog post and magazine article. Anybody have good reasons to choose one over another? Thx.