Importing lots of files is really really slow

Selecting a bunch of PDFs and dragging them to Zotero is insanely slow. After doing this, I can look at the Date Added column in Zotero for each file and see a very consistent pattern of about 10 seconds per file. In some cases a single file can take 20 seconds or more. So if I'm importing, say, 200 files (actually I have closer to 2,000 but I have to take it in small chunks) it takes 35+ minutes.

Is this going to change before release of 2.0, or is there a fundamental reason why it's so slow? At this point I'm not even fetching metadata so there should be no internet access at all. I'm using Windows Vista x64, Firefox 3.5.2.

To pour salt on the wound, when this happens both the entire browser and the Windows Explorer window from which you dragged the files become unusable, not just the Zotero panel.
  • If you have PDF indexing enabled, it currently indexes PDFs on demand, which might be the cause of the delay for you. You could check by setting the limits to 0 in the Search pane of the Zotero prefs.

For what it's worth, on my OS X machine, dragging 15 PDFs of various sizes—8.1MB total—takes 14 seconds. (To be fair, I have a mostly empty full-text index in this profile, which probably helps.)

At some point we'll switch it to do the indexing asynchronously in the background. This probably won't happen for 2.0, though. We'll also be switching to a more efficient full-text search mechanism at some point, which will probably speed things up.
    To pour salt on the wound, when this happens both the entire browser and the Windows Explorer window from which you dragged the files become unusable, not just the Zotero panel.
    The Firefox part, at least, we may be able to fix.