Zotero on my mac will not open.

Zotero on my mac simply will not open. When I click on the app, it opens and shows that it is loading, but then closes. How do I fix this problem?
  • Start by reinstalling Zotero from the download page.
  • If it still happens, what exact version of macOS?

When it closes, do you get an error message?
  • I have have re-downloaded but it still won't open.

Yes, I do recive an error message. it says: There was an error starting Zotero.

Error: Error(s) encountered during statement execution: database disk image is malformed [QUERY: SELECT COALESCE(MAX(tagID) + 1, 1) FROM tags] [PARAMS: ] [ERROR: database disk image is malformed]
    Zotero.DBConnection.prototype.valueQueryAsync<@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/db.js:711:13
    From previous event:
    ZoteroService@file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/components/zotero-service.js:352:7
    @chrome://zotero/content/include.js:4:14

I have the macOS version 10.14.6

Thank you!
  • Ah, OK. Your database is corrupted, which generally happens from having your Zotero data directory in a cloud storage folder or network drive. If that's the case, you should move it back to the default location. You should never store the data for any database-backed program in cloud storage.

You can try to fix the damage with the DB Repair Tool, or, if this was in cloud storage or you have a local backup, you can restore from an earlier version of zotero.sqlite. If that doesn't work, and your data is all online, you can just delete the zotero.sqlite file (or move it somewhere temporarily for backup) with Zotero closed and then reopen Zotero and sync to pull down your library.
  • Oh okay. I believe I don't have much of an option since I am working with a shared zotero folder and that is why we are saving to the cloud. How do I restore an earlier version of zotero.sqlite? Or how do I move it to a backup?
  • Either that's a misunderstanding or you're doing something extremely ill-advised. To share a Zotero library, you use Zotero syncing — you don't put the data directory in a cloud storage folder. If you don't want to lose all your data, and if you want any support here in the future, you'll need to move your data directory to a local disk.

I provided instructions above for your options for recovering from your current situation.
  • No, you are right. We are using Zotero syncing. I'm sorry, I am just confused about all this. Since we are using Zotero Syncing, do I still use the DB Repair tool to fix my issue?
  • Your database is still corrupted — and again, that may still be because you put your own data directory in a cloud storage folder.

You'll need to repair your database or restore from a backup.
  • edited July 12, 2020
    If someone moved your database to the Mac Documents directory it is akin to a cloud folder/directory.

https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/354483#Comment_354483