[API] Searching through Appendix? (or notes)

Hi, new to the community.

I am using the API as a lookup / search facility.
However, i have noticed the results are not looking through the Appendix using "q" and "q-mode" everything. Therefore, I have suggested to client to use Notes instead but i cannot see it being returned in a response - https://gist.github.com/dstillman/f1030b9609aadc51ddec

Any ideas?
  • (Best to post API questions to zotero-dev — we try to keep technical discussions there.)

I don't know what you mean by "Appendix" — that's not a Zotero field. (Do you mean Abstract?) But as the documentation says, only title/creator/year and title/creator/year + full-text content (meaning the full-text content of PDFs and plain-text attachments) are currently supported via the API.

Notes are returned as separate items, but only the first line is currently searched, as part of the title search.
  • Hey, thanks for getting back to me. As first thought, this really limits the capability of search function. Do you know when this will be available? Its pretty important to the success of the project.

Secondly, when you say 'first line' for notes do you know how many characters? This is notes attached to an Abstract btw.

• We can probably extend qmode=everything to include full note content pretty easily, but I'd have to look into it.

(It's called "everything" in the API because this is the mode that will be equivalent to the client's Everything mode. The web library accurately refers to the current capabilities as "Title, Creator, Year + Full-Text Content".)
    when you say 'first line' for notes do you know how many characters?
    ~79 characters
    This is notes attached to an Abstract btw.
    No, Abstract is a regular item field, not an item type, so this isn't what you mean. Notes are separate items, and can be either standalone items or child items.
  • Thank you @dstillman for your reply.

There are quite a few items within the library already. I am concerned about copying everything to notes from Abstract just to search the first 79 characters.

What are the chances / pipeline of having the API search Abstract?
  • Good morning @dstillman, is there anything i can send to my client on the discussion?