Zotero and Mac Word integration issues

edited July 7, 2020
To Whom It May Concern,

I have been using zotero throughout my research career but am currently having an issue with getting it to communicate with word. I am on mac os 10.13.6, using word 365 (Version 16.38) with Zotero (5.0.88). Everytime I tried to insert a reference I get a Zotero integration error. Could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor. Go to tools- adding - extension and make sure extension is enabled.

I did check, it is enabled, I also followed online instructions to copy over zotero.dotm but to nothing so far has work.

I am not sure if it is an issue with the fact I had mac word 2016 previously before updating to 365.

It will not let me copy out the error code but it talks about could not map contract ID to CID because no implantation of CID is registered.

Javascript unreachable code after return statement file"resource://zotero/loader.jsm
Add-on.getresourceURI is not a function
syntaxError: Missing after for file"resource://zotero-macworld-integration/installer_common.jsm.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Paul

• D1957866443

[JavaScript Error: "SyntaxError: missing ( after for" {file: "resource://zotero-macword-integration/installer_common.jsm" line: 131 column: 7 source: " for each(var addon in this._addons) {
    "}]
    @resource://zotero-macword-integration/installer.jsm:27:29
    @chrome://zotero-macword-integration/content/overlay.xul:9:21

[JavaScript Error: "Request timed out"]

[JavaScript Error: "Zotero could not load the component necessary to communicate with your word processor. Go to Tools → Add-ons → Extensions in Zotero and make sure that the extension for your word processor is enabled."]

version => 5.0.88, platform => MacIntel, oscpu => Intel Mac OS X 10.13, locale => en-GB, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.88, extensions => Zotero Word for Mac Integration (3.5.14.r10158, extension), Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.23.SA.5.0.88, extension), Shockwave Flash (32.0.0.387, plugin)
  • Zotero Word for Mac Integration (3.5.14.r10158, extension)
    You have an ancient version of the Mac Word plugin installed manually into Zotero. (Is that something you installed recently, or is that left over from years ago?) You should uninstall that from Tools → Add-ons and this will go away.
  • Thanks.

How do I uninstall it? I tried to go into the add ons and when I removed the zotero plug in the tab from words disappears.

Thanks
  • This is about Tools → Add-ons in Zotero, not in Word. You need to uninstall the old version of the plugin (from many years ago) from Zotero. When you do so and restart Zotero, you should be left with the current version of the plugin, which is bundled with Zotero.