reached your Zotero File Storage quota

Hello,

I keep getting the yellow alert that I have reached my file storage quota. I deleted one library, emptied trash and merged duplicated items. I currently have 194 items, yet when I check the ..\Zotero\storage file on my disk there are 289 items folders of random naming, and I don't know how to intrepret that.

Many thanks for the help.
  • What exactly is your question? If you're getting a quota error, you simply still have more files locally than will fit under your quota.
  • Shouldn't these numbers be equal? How come I have 289 folders on the drive storage folder when I have 194 citations (items) on my Zotero App?

I am concerned that there are some corrupt files, cache files etc that use my space when in reality I don't use that much. I have also deleted a few pdf files (the biggest I had, 30MB) and my storage under settings still says that I am using 104%.

When I deleted my bin and some dublicated files prior, it went down to 95%, I refreshed and it went back to 104% like that.

So my question I guess, are these folders take up space for no reason? Sorry that I didn't make any sense before!
  • Don't worry about the 'storage' directory — Zotero manages that. Nothing syncs that doesn't exist in your library.

The quota is for online syncing only, so deleting files locally doesn't automatically put you under the quota. If you had a 300 MB quota and 600 MB locally, you could delete 250 MB and you'd still be hitting your quota.
  • I see, so it means that it won't save more files online, and then (If I need to) I won't be able to access them from another computer?

But locally, I can still add as many files as I want?

Thank you.

• Yes. If you don't care about syncing files, you can just disable file syncing from the Sync pane of the preferences.
  • i had the similar issue and just purchased 2GB plan. I am wondering if all other members of my group need to buy the storage plan too so they can get the files i stored on clouds?

Thanks,
  • No, group storage is counted against the group owner's quota.