Word: citing without Zotero software?

Hello,

My university might not allow me to install the desktop version. Is it still possible to use Zotero to generate citations via a plugin? Because the Word plugin does not seem to work unless i start the Zotero desktop version.
  • No, the plugin requires Zotero to be installed and open.

Why won't the university allow you to install the desktop version?
  • They only have a standard package of software that you are allowed to use in the library computers, sadly
  • I would inquire with your library to add Zotero to the standard installation. Many university libraries officially recommend Zotero.
  • I did and they said they were 'open' to researching it or doing a small pilot with a limited number of computers. I hope they will do it since it is the largest university in my country and they do have Mendeley installed, but also a Zotero recommendation as an alternative. So bit odd not to make that alternative actually viable.

But this still means it might take a while before they actually incorporate it. Any non-manual workaround suggestions, if any?
  • No way to cite without the Zotero client, sorry.
  • One option would be to insert Scannable Cite placeholder citations from the Zotero web library, then when you are done writing, on a computer that has the Zotero client use LibreOffice to do your final formatting.

If you are comfortable with some computer programming or you use programs like R/RStudio or python for statistical analysis, another option would be to insert pandoc citation placeholders into your document, then use pandoc to format your citations.
  • I don't think there's still a quick way to generate Scannable Cites from the web, is there?