Where does Zotero store the notes?

Hello,
I would like to save my notes on an hard disk, but can't find them. I don't use the online storage option of Zotero, everything should be on my laptop.
Thanks in advance for your help!
  • They're stored in your database in your Zotero data directory.
  • Thanks a lot for this fast response
    I don't find them precisely. Are they in the storage folder, cache files?
  • They're in the SQLite database.
  • OK, thanks!
  • Zotero notes are stored in \\Data\Zotero\Data\zotero.sqlite files and in the ItemNotes table of the zotero.sqlite database. They store text only and do not contain images.
  • Follow-up question here. Is there a way to mass export these files or have them all be searchable outside of the app? For my use case: I extract a bunch of annotations, and would like to be able to just search my desktop for them and find them as a stand-alone document. Does that seem possible? Or should I just be searching in the app?
  • I personally keep my Zotero notes inside Zotero and use Zotero's search.

If you want them as files, maybe this plug-in could be for you (I've only used it sporadically because it does more than I need): https://github.com/windingwind/zotero-better-notes?tab=readme-ov-file#syncing-note-️-markdown
  • You would need to export them as a report first. But you would need to export them anew as a report everytime you change an item , which seems to me to not make any sense. The other option is to sync zotero to a note app like obsidian or notion or zettlr. Search on these forums for relevant threads and how people use these apps.
    But you may want to ask yourself first, why you would want to have these files on your desktop? What is missing from zotero that necessitates this? Also look at the better notes plugin as it may solve the issues you may have within zotero.
  • edited February 7, 2024
    @samvimes 's mention is on point. Zotero Better Notes offers an auto-sync option for selected notes. This is a two way sync. This plugin says it also supports exporting images but I haven't tried that.
    You can also make use of Actions & Tags plugin to export a new note automatically.
    You can also use Word plugin's import note option to search and import them to word.
  • @migugg: I think the idea of having these as files on your desktop is to more quickly access them, to not have them "locked in" an app, etc. I guess I have grown weary of app-based search functions, but that concern really doesn't apply to Zotero.

I see everyone's point though about the Better Notes app. Are you all using it productively? I think you have succeeded in convincing me that this might just not be all that necessary – and the workflow, unproductive!
  • Hello everyone,
    So I've been organizing and backing up my Zotero library. And I'm still not quite grasping the idea that all of my notes are stored as one SQLITE file in my desktop under \Zotero\Data\zotero.sqlite. Is that it?
    To back that up it would suffice to copy that one file and/or export each individual note?
  • @thaisms: Yes, notes are stored in the Zotero database. See Backing Up Your Zotero Data. You shouldn't be using export to back up anything.