Word processors won't connect

I have a Macbook Pro. I've downloaded Zotero okay, but I can't seem to download any of the browser connectors (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). I get this error message each time I try, and no connector appears on the Word home screen.

Installation could not be completed because an error occurred.

[Exception... "The file Zotero.dot couldn't be opened because there is no such file. @[setTemplateTypeCreator:install.m:223]" nsresult: "0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///Applications/Zotero.app/Contents/Resources/extensions/zoteroMacWordIntegration@zotero.org/components/zoteroMacWordIntegration.js :: checkStatus :: line 230" data: no]

I just spent an hour on the phone with the Apple people, and they couldn't help either, and Zotero does not have online of phone help.

Have you run into this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
  • (This has nothing to do with Apple, so there was no reason to talk to them. Zotero absolutely has support — it takes place here. If you have a problem with Zotero, you just need to post here.)

What version of Word are you trying to use Zotero with?
  • I'm using Word for Mac version 16.38.
  • See Zotero Toolbar Doesn't Appear. If you still have trouble after that, let us know everything you tried and what happened at each step.
    I've downloaded Zotero okay, but I can't seem to download any of the browser connectors (Chrome, Firefox, or Safari). I get this error message each time I try, and no connector appears on the Word home screen.
    To be clear, the Zotero Connector is unrelated to Word. You install the Connector into your browser so that you can save to Zotero, and you've almost certainly already done so successfully in Chrome and Firefox if you've tried. (Safari is more complicated at the moment.) The Word plugin is bundled with Zotero and should generally be installed automatically. If you're getting an error, there's something strange about your system, and the above instructions will help troubleshoot that.
  • I've already done everything up to and including 3 iii. I don't feel even remotely comfortable going to step 3 iv or step 4 because I don't understand them at all.
  • If there's something you don't understand, you should quote it and explain exactly what you don't understand.

Normally the Word plugin is installed automatically, so if something about your system configuration is preventing that from happening, you will need to follow the troubleshooting steps.

Based on the error you're getting, you may still have an old version of Word (e.g., Word 2011) in Applications on your computer that's causing problems. That won't even run on current macOS versions, and deleting that may help.

Beyond that, you'd need to follow the manual installation instructions. But the automatic installation — or clicking the install button in the Cite preferences — really should work, particularly if you remove Word 2011.
  • BINGO! I had the old 2011 version of Word on my computer in addition to the latest one. That was screwing things up.

Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated!
  • OK, sorry about that. That shouldn't interfere with the installation of the plugin for the later version of Word regardless, so we'll look into why that was happening.