Alternatives to WebDAV?

Are there any plans to support other protocols than WebDAV for sync'ing of zotero attachments/storage?
  • There will soon be a powerful new storage option designed specifically for Zotero users and groups. We encourage you to remain patient for just a few days.
  • sounds good!
  • I see the new version of zotero (2.0b7) offer the option of file sync'ing via zotero's servers. Any restrictions/limitations on this? It seems this would quickly require a lot of server space if it catches on...
  • Documentation on the new server file sync should be published later today or tomorrow according to Dan (one of the devs), info on any storage space limitations should be included with that.
  • Seems to be 100 MB at the moment - have a look in your "settings" on the web site...

Hopefully there'll be an option to increase that soon - my "storage" folder is now 2.5 GB!
  • Seems to be 100 MB at the moment - have a look in your "settings" on the web site
    It's a good thing that webDAV is still being supported at the moment in that case - I don't have a very large library (600 items), and already my storage folder is about 700MB.
  • A lot of people have fairly big file libraries, in my case around 1GB and a lot more is still to add. I can imagine and I fear that CHNM hasn't the space nor the interest to accomodate the vast amount of data from all zotero users, at least not for free. Understandable from their point of view, evidently.

I did a lot of nagging with the it-people in the institute I work for to get the necessary webdav space; now I have this space - for free, so I really hope the zotero devs will keep supporting it and even expand it to the same possibilities as the new zotero file storage.

Zotero is a marvelous piece of open source software, but slowly it becomes more and more dependant on the ((still) closed source) zotero server, and so is our data. What happens if they rise prices for file storage to an unacceptable level, sell it off to a commercial firm, or decide to pull out the plug? (I'm not suggesting they actually will; I'm convinced of their good intentions)

By the way, for many companies, storing sensitive internal information on external servers is not allowable, allready excluding synchronisation of zotero instances in its current form.

I plead for preserving and expanding the webdav interface and creating some way to create your institute-wide meta-data synchronisation server (e.g. with mysql). (and/or opensourcing the server parts)
    Can someone enlighten me on the near future plans of the developers?
  • For what it's worth, I've finally managed to work out how to sync ONLY the storage folder with dropbox (you need to set up "symlinks" from your storage folder to point to a mirrored "storage" folder in your dropbox location).

This way Zotero syncs the database as normal, and dropbox takes care of the much larger storage folder. I've found dropbox syncing much quicker and less prone to errors...

Having said that, if Zotero comes up with a BIG and EASY file sync solution that works without hassle and setting up symlinks etc, I'd be willing to pay for it for sure (at similar rates to S3 etc)...

I tried pleading with the IT about setting up a webDAV, but there was much shaking of heads.. meanwhile I'm using up goodness know how much bandwidth syncing a library to some dropbox server in the US... Anyway...
  • Oh, I just saw the new pricing info in the storage FAQ... $5/month for 5GB seems OK.
  • I notice it's still not possible to sign up for more storage with zotero. Is there currently an expected time of availability?