very slow document, can not deactivate automatic updates

Hi there,
I am doing a PhD, so I have a larger document with currently around 100 pages with quite some citations, but I don't know how many and I am not finished yet (I guesss I added about 75% the references I need or so). The more citations I add, the slower the document gets. Now it takes about 1 minute to add a citation which is starting to get a bit frustrating. Sometimes it doesn't work at all. I had been debugging the document before, because I got error messages, I debugged through switching citation styles several times successfully. I also deleted citations in figure descriptions.

Now I tried deactiviting automatic updates, but that led to zotero crashing. So I cannot uncheck the box for deactivating automatic updates.

I would be grateful for some help! I am using word 365, on macos Mojave. Debug ID is D798092037

kind regards!
  • That looks like just a Debug ID for Zotero startup. We'd need one for the actual operation that's slow.

But you should definitely be able to disable "Automatically update citations", and you'd definitely want to do that in a large document. What do you mean by "crashing"? Have you tried immediately after restarting your computer? What version of Mojave and Word?
  • Hi!

I restarted my computer and disabled "Automatically update citations", then tried to add another citation, waited for like 2 minutes or so but it did not work, had to force close zotero, after restarting zotero, the box was checked again for "Automatically update citations".

So after that i did the logging, unchecked the box again, tried to add citation, waited, didn't work (just nothing happended, the red bar kept loading..), then took the debug D896308274. is that correct?

in any case, i then activated logging again and restarted zotero with actived logging (box was checked again) and tried adding a citation again, here is the ID D1926088461

Mojave 10.14.6, Word 16.24

thanks
  • Before we debug this more, Word 16.24 appears to be over a year old. Can you upgrade?
  • thats a bit complicated with our uni licence procedure, but will do, will get back to you
  • so I managed to get the latest word, opened the document, unchecked "Automatically update citations", tried adding citation, now not even the red bar appears so I could look for what I want to add.
    D1230365736.
  • I am changing citation style now to 'update' the document, lets see
  • it works now, sometimes takes still a bit longer untill citation is placed, but all in all much smoother. thanks