Bug: Is repeatable

Version 5.0.87
Windows 7
Word 2010 - version 14.0.7237.5000 (32-bit)

I've created a document in zotero. The document has no page numbers. Now i could reference this by paragraphs etc - however, in my notes i just want to reference the document.

Inserting a place into the doc without any page no etc. brings up the "You have modified this citation since Zotero generated it. Do you want to keep your modifications and prevent future updates?

Clicking no - does inserts the reference, but i'm not sure what else it does!
  • If I'm understanding you correctly, what you're describing isn't a bug — you're manually editing a citation, and so Zotero needs to ask you whether you really want to prevent it from applying further updates to the citation automatically.

But why are you editing the citation? What do you mean by page numbers? Can you provide an example?
  • edited May 29, 2020
    I learnt the hard way no to do anything to the citations outside of zotero.

No - no manual editing - i select the document from the list as per normal, don't put anything in the page box and click ok.

Never altered/edited anything.
  • edited May 29, 2020
    If you're getting that error message, it means something was edited, but that could also happen through something like Track Changes going astray. If you didn't mean to edit anything, you should answer No to undo any changes and let Zotero update the citation normally.
  • (And, to be clear, the message should be about another citation in the document, not the one you're inserting. The dialog should show you the before and after text, so you should be able to tell what changed.)
  • Update: I clicked no and checked the document - look like nothing else changed.

Clicked save and re-attempted to insert the citation. The box no longer appears, so it looks like zotero didn't like something in the document.

Sorry i didn't save a copy for testing.
  • thanks for the info