When I want to add several citations at the same place in Word, the 2nd citation replaces the 1st

Hello,

I have the following problem. When I want to add several citations at the same place in Word, the 2nd citation replaces the 1st one.
I did not have this trouble before.
How can I solve this problem? Thank you.
Best wishes
  • Can you explain exactly what you're doing?

Are you saying that, if you click on an existing citation and click Add/Edit Citation, the citation dialog (red bar) is empty instead of showing the citation you clicked on?

If so, can you provide a Debug ID for doing that?
  • No. When I want to quote more than one citation in Word when I want to add a second citation I click on the one that is already cited. However, instead of adding the new one the software replaces the first one by the second one. So I cannot quote several papers in the same place. I had no trouble when I was doing the same thing before. A colleague of mine on another computer has exactly the same problem. Is this new and caused by an error in updating Zotero? Thank you for your help.
  • edited May 26, 2020
    When I want to quote more than one citation in Word when I want to add a second citation I click on the one that is already cited. However, instead of adding the new one the software replaces the first one by the second one.
    You're not saying what you're actually doing. Just clicking on a citation in Word doesn't do anything — it just positions the cursor. You have to tell us every single thing you're clicking on, what's happening at each step, and what you expect to happen.

https://www.zotero.org/support/reporting_problems#provide_steps_to_reproduce
  • Sorry, English is not my mother tongue. I position the cursor on the reference already entered in the Word document. It becomes gray. I go to Add/Edit Citation button. There is a screen with Z at the left pops up. The reference already inserted is written (for Example Bespalov et al., 2008). I select classical view. I choose the second reference that I want to add. This reference is highlighted in blue. I position the cursor on OK. And in Word, the reference that I want to add replaces the first one (and not is added to it). I hope I am clear.
  • I select classical view. I choose the second reference that I want to add. This reference is highlighted in blue. I position the cursor on OK.
    You've described selecting a different reference in the classic dialog and replacing the existing citation. It's doing what you're asking it to do.

If you want to add a second citation, just search for it in the default (red) citation dialog and add it as a second citation.

If you really want to use the classic citation dialog, you have to click the Multiple Sources button and add the item as a second item in the right-hand pane.
  • Thank you very much. I succeeded. But what do you call the default (red) citation dialog?
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question. What's the name of it, do you mean? Technically it's the "Quick Format" dialog, but we just call it the citation dialog. It's the red bar you see by default, if you haven't changed your settings to always use the classic dialog.