Switching word processors

First of all, thanks for taking the time to read this.
The situation is this, I wrote a thesis in Google Docs, mainly due to the easy of collaborating with my advisor. Now for the final edit I want to switch to latex, this I achieve using an extension in LibreOffice Writer and works properly.
However I would like to retain the ability to edit my bibliographic references for as long as I can. So instead of unlinking the citations in GDocs, downloading as odt, and exporting to LaTeX I tried using the "Switch word processors" option from the Zotero menu.
When I try to refresh the donloaded odt files with citations in "switching mode", an error message pops up saying that it couldn't refresh. I tried some of the recommendations in https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
But still can't do it.
The error console says:

[JavaScript Error: "An error occurred communicating with Zotero:
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.dispatch_call(Native Method)
at com.sun.star.bridges.jni_uno.JNI_proxy.invoke(JNI_proxy.java:185)
at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy24.setPropertyValue(Unknown Source)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.Document.importDocument(Document.java:205)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.execute(CommMessage.java:131)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommMessage.getBytes(CommMessage.java:61)
at org.zotero.integration.ooo.comp.CommServer.run(CommServer.java:84)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

I think its worth mentioning that I could perform the refreshing in MSWord, but then I cannot export to LaTeX, or keep working in LibreOffice with Zotero.
Since it worked in Word, I believe there's something not properly configured in Writer or else the Word plugin can perform this and the LibreOffice plugin can't.

I appreciate any comments on this matter.
Best regards!

P.S.: I would like to post an error ID but I don't know where to get it from.
  • What version of LibreOffice? Can you insert citations from Zotero normally in LO?

    See Report ID for how to provide a Report ID.
  • Zotero 5.0.87, LO VersiĆ³n: (x64), (freshly installed), JRE 1.8.0_251 (x64).

    ID: 1406178894

    Yes I can insert citations normally.

    Thanks for your reply!
  • @adomasven will need to look at this, but a Debug ID (different from a Report ID) for the Refresh attempt would probably also be helpful.
  • @tron_ccp Is your LibreOffice in English or another language? Could you download an English version and try importing with it?
  • @tron_ccp We have now pushed a fix for this bug on the Zotero Beta. This shouldn't be necessary, but depending on your configuration you might need to reinstall the LibreOffice plugin from Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors after running the Beta, then you should check whether the document imports fine.
  • @adomasven, thanks for you replies. My LibreOffice is in Spanish.
    I tried to refresh the cites with Debug Output Eneabled and got this ID:


    When I came to the forum to post it I found your replies. I'll try your suggestions and comment back.
  • @adomasven I downloaded the ZoteroBeta for windows (zip), executed Zotero, reinstalled the plugin, restarted my PC and tried to refresh the document. It looked like it went past the previous error, but then it found another error. (in previous attempts the error came up almost immediately and this time after some seconds)
    Here are the debugging id:
    and error report id:

    Next I'll try installing the english version of LibreOffice.
    Extra info: I had a 32 bit JRE, so I installed a 64bit JRE for LibreOffice.
  • Update:
    I couldn't download an english version of LibreOffice, apparently the site (even if the site is shown written in english) checks either my browser or OS or IP and the spanish version gets downloaded.

    In one go, I noticed that the page count and word count diminished and then the process stalled and the error came up. I checked the file at that point and noticed that all cites from the top up were ok ({Citation}-like) up to a page that featured a footnote, in which something was cited that had been previously cited. From there till the end cites were scribble.

    I deleted the footnote in the original file, switched word processors in GoogleDocs, refreshed the odt file in LO and everything went smoothly.

    I hope this info is useful. Thanks @adomasven and @dstillman for replying to me.
Sign In or Register to comment.