In-Text and Reference Lists for Lancaster University - Harvard

Hello,

I am using Lancaster University - Harvard style, and I cannot afford switching to any other variance of Harvard as I must comply with the university's requirements.
I have three distinct issues, and was hoping you could please provide guidance / quick fix or any kind of support.

Issue #1: Same author with several works in different years
-- The bibliography lists authors alphabetically (last name) which is perfect. However, in the case of one author with multiple works, it uses the alphabetical order of the titles to sort, whereas I need it to be ordered following the year / date chronology.
Issue #2: Same author with several works in the same year
-- The in-text citation does not add any suffix to the year (i.e. letters a / b / c), which should normally be allocated based on the order of appearance in the text.
-- The bibliography does not distinguish between these, and does not add any letters. It should normally include the letters as well, and be ordered on that basis.

Sorry for tagging you @adamsmith , I noticed you saved so many people in different discussions. I was hoping you could please help here too.

Many thanks in advance,
Narjisse
  • For 1., do you have a source for that requirement? I don't see anything in the guide for Lancaster Harvard
    2. should just work with a/b/c with the existing document-- can you try in a new document for testing?
  • Hello @adamsmith ,

Many thanks for your super quick reply and willingness to support.

For #1: indeed, there is no specific mention of the chronology requirement here: http://lancaster.libguides.com/harvard/reference-list
    It is not explicit though, hence my confusion. However if you're saying from your side that it's not. Then it shall be kept the way it is.

For #2: it does not work at all - neither in the in-text citation, nor in the reference list generated. I tried several times in a new document, and here is another test I run this morning. I am pasting it below exactly as done by Zotero:

----

(Callon, 2005, pp.3–20)
    (Callon, 2005)
    (Caliskan, 2007, pp.115–145)
    (Caliskan, 2007, pp.241–260)
    (Cochoy, 2014, p.238)
    (Cochoy, 2014, pp.106–124)

Caliskan, K. (2007) Markets and fields: An ethnography of cotton production and exchange in a Turkish village. New Perspectives on Turkey, 37, 115–145. Cambridge University Press.

Caliskan, K. (2007) Price as a market device: cotton trading in Izmir Mercantile Exchange. The sociological review, 55(2_suppl), 241–260. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, England.

Callon, M. (2005) Disabled persons of all countries, unite.

Callon, M. (2005) Why virtualism paves the way to political impotence: A reply to Daniel Miller’s critique of" The laws of the market". Economic sociology: European electronic newsletter, 6(2), 3–20. Cologne: Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies (MPIfG).

Cochoy, F. (2014) 10. Concerned markets: facing the future, beyond ‘interested’and ‘contested’markets. Concerned Markets: Economic Ordering for Multiple Values, 238.

Cochoy, F. (2014) A theory of ‘agencing’: On Michel Callon’s contribution to organizational knowledge and practice. The Oxford handbook of sociology, social theory, and organization studies: Contemporary currents, 106–124. Oxford University Press Oxford.

----

Could you please help / advise ? Your time and support are much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Narjisse
  • Hello @adamsmith

Any advice on point 2? So sorry as I am kind of desperate here :(
    Can it be fixed in any way ?

Many thanks once again,
    Narjisse
  • (adam, something is off with the style, but I can't see what it is. add-year-suffix is set to true, but it is not showing. Can you have a look?)
  • I just pushed out what I think should be a fix -- that'll be available on zotero.org/style shortly. Note that the style has been putting full page ranges for articles and chapters into in-text citations, which makes no sense: Where referring to a specific page or page range, you should add that through the add citation dialog (we refer to this as a locator: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage#customizing_cites )
  • @damnation thank you so much for the comment, and @adamsmith thanks a million for your tremendous support !! It's working now, hooray ! Just one last small issue though -if it's ok for you to look into it. The letter suffix is not generated based on the order the reference is cited. It generates for instance "b" before "a" in the in-text, and then in the bibliography it lists the references based on a/b/c.

This is an example of what I get at the moment:

--

This is the first test (Caliskan, 2007b) and the second test (Caliskan, 2007a).

Caliskan, K. (2007a) Markets and fields: An ethnography of cotton production and exchange in a Turkish village. New Perspectives on Turkey, 37, 115–145. Cambridge University Press.
    Caliskan, K. (2007b) Price as a market device: cotton trading in Izmir Mercantile Exchange. The sociological review, 55(2_suppl), 241–260. SAGE Publications Sage UK: London, England.

--

Any chance this can be fixed ? THANKS A MILLION once more : )

Cheers,
    Narjisse
  • edited May 30, 2020
    Well, the suffixes are given as per the sorting in the bibliography (sorted by authors, then by titles).
    But the guidelines show an example that sorts it by citation-number.

Updated style already on repository.
  • OMG, this literally made my day ! It is finally working as it should. Thanks a million @damnation , really cannot thank you enough.

Cheers,
    Narjisse