Visual basic environment cannot be initialized - Win 10, Office 365

Hello,

I have problem. When i open any document (new or old one) in Word i have communicate: "visual basic environment cannot be initialized". I've reinstalled both Zotero and Office 365 and it does not help at all. If i open Word as administrator i don't have this communicate but extension does not work.

Zotero report ID 1933985104
  • Do you get this error when you open a document or when you try to interact with Zotero? You can remove the Zotero plugin from Word by removing Zotero.dotm from the Word startup folder. What is the version number reported by Word?
  • When i remove Zotero plugin it does not occour. Word version 2004 (12730.20270)
  • This isn't a general error, either something with your system configuration or perhaps a corrupt Zotero.dotm file is causing this. Redownload and reinstall Zotero and then reinstall the Word plugin from Zotero Preferences -> Cite -> Word Processors.
  • It is already done, still does not help at all. I'm prepared to reinstall Windows at weekend it should help.
  • Hello,

My friend's laptop has just encountered this problem, too.
    It occurs even with the blank new Word document.

Just try to create a new Word document. That's it! The dialog "Visual basic environment cannot be initialized" appears.
    Note that the "Zotero" tab in MS Word doesn't show, but you can click on the "blank" area that supposed to be the tab. However, clicking Zotero buttons (Add citation, etc) makes that "Visual basic" dialog appear again and Zotero cannot run.

But if I start MS Word with Administrator privilege, the error dialog does NOT appear, and the Zotero tab now appears! However, clicking Zotero buttons results in the error.

I've upgraded Zotero to the latest version, 5.0.93.
    I've "repaired" MS Office installation. (Office Professional Plus 2016 MSO (16.0.4266.1001) 64 bit)
    I've tried deleting zotero.dotm from startup folder and re-install it, both from inside Zotero and from downloaded file (SHA1 hash checked).
    (Note: when uninstalling Zotero extension, the error dialog does NOT appear; Installing it again causes the error to appear again.)
    All of the above procedures did not result in success.

Thank you very much in advance.
    --Korrawit
  • FYI:
    I've uninstalled the old MS Word 2016, and installed new MS Word Proplus 2019 (version number 16.0.10356.200006). Now everything works fine!