An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero

When I enter Zotero and try to click a file, it appears on the files screen:
"An error has occurred. Please restart Zotero"
- The last thing I did was add about 25 academic articles.
- Also, I tried a feature that I had never tried before, even though I have been using Zotero for almost 1 year. What I used was the "Show all tags in this library" filter.
- My operating system is Ubuntu 18.04
- The report ID is 1431427398
- I need urgent help, I am finishing a research article.

I have the following error:

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Invalid field 'citekey" for base field" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js" line: 270}]
getFieldIDFromTypeAndBase@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js:270:10
Zotero.Item.prototype.getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js:247:17
Zotero.ItemTreeRow.prototype.getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:3444:9
Zotero.ItemTreeView.prototype.getCellText@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1079:11

[JavaScript Error: "Error: Invalid field 'citekey" for base field" {file: "chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js" line: 270}]
getFieldIDFromTypeAndBase@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/itemFields.js:270:10
Zotero.Item.prototype.getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/data/item.js:247:17
Zotero.ItemTreeRow.prototype.getField@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:3444:9
Zotero.ItemTreeView.prototype.getCellText@chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/itemTreeView.js:1079:11

[JavaScript Error: "key_manager_1.KeyManager is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero-better-bibtex/content/BetterBibTeX.ItemPane.js" line: 28}]

[JavaScript Error: "key_manager_1.KeyManager is undefined" {file: "chrome://zotero-better-bibtex/content/BetterBibTeX.ItemPane.js" line: 28}]

version => 5.0.60, platform => Linux x86_64, oscpu => Linux x86_64, locale => es-ES, appName => Zotero, appVersion => 5.0.60, extensions => Zotero LibreOffice Integration (5.0.14.SA.5.0.60, extension), ZotFile (5.0.16, extension), Better BibTex for Zotero (5.2.22, extension)
  • Those are errors from Better BibTeX, not Zotero, and they're caused by running a (very) outdated version of Zotero from January 2019. Upgrade to a current version.

We'd also be curious to know why you're still on an old version. Are you using some package that wasn't updated?
  • @emilianoeheyns: Since we've gotten a bunch of these, I assume something changed in BBT that caused this to start happening? You obviously shouldn't be expected to support 1.5-year-old Zotero versions, but any possibility of checking the version and showing a better error instead of crashing the app?
  • Hi @dstillman, I managed to fix it by reinstalling Zotero. Thank you very much for your comments!
  • edited May 15, 2020
    Why you were out of date, though? Do you know how you had installed Zotero previously? Or had you simply not run updates in a long time?
  • @dstillman something must have. When I'm back home at my linux box I think I can do something. Where do I download older versions of Zotero?
  • You can just change the version number in the download URLs on the download page.