"word cannot open this template" error

Every time I open a word document (new or old one), I get the following error message: "Word cannot open this document template (C:\Users\[user]\AppData\...Zotero.dotm)."

I deleted zotero, but word still doesn't work, instead keeps crashing. I reinstalled the office program, but if I try to open any word document or download one, it crashes again. Under the plugin things, I noticed that word has deactivated "Zotero.dotm" because it caused problems in word. If activated word will do the same again. I can't remove the "zotero.dotm".

Does anyone know what do to? I need help asap, because I have an exam soon and need to use word. It's been like this for almost a month. Even the IT system at my school didn't know how to fix this problem.

My computer is a personal one.
  • What do you mean by "I can't remove the "zotero.dotm"? What happens when you try to remove the file?
  • I mean that I can’t click on the “remove” button, when wanting to remove Zotero.dotm from the add-ins under the deactivating progams list. In word boxes appear that if I activate “zotero.dotm” it will cause a major problem
  • If you want to remove the plugin, you just need to delete Zotero.dotm from your Word Startup folder. It's not something you do within Word.

(If you want to actually use Zotero with Word, we can help you debug that. There's no general problem, but security software on your system might be breaking the plugin. The first step would be to delete Zotero.dotm manually, restart Word to make sure it's gone, and then try reinstalling it from the Cite → Word Processors pane of the Zotero preferences and seeing if it works better after that.)