Web library accessibility

This discussion was created from comments split from: Switching an item’s folder in webview.
  • Two comments.

First, on the web version, I don't see the three-dots buttons in the top right. I am using a laptop with the layout being as wide as the laptop screen. From my current perspective, I can't find anyway to move items between folders by just using the keyboard.

Second, drag an drop mechanics can create major problem for universities and other institutions. WCAG 2.0's guideline 2.1 states that all functionality should be operable by the keyboard: https://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/keyboard-operation.html

This keyboard mechanics helps in this scenario: Imagine being a manager of procurement or ICT team at university where a keyboard functionality is stipulated from the university senate as a firm requirement (e.g., researchers and faculty with arthritis asserting university software should not require mouse).

Investing energy into quality keyboard mechanics pays off. Are you familiar with this resource? It has models https://www.w3.org/TR/wai-aria-practices

Is there anything I can do to contribute?
  • First, on the web version, I don't see the three-dots buttons in the top right.
    These only appears on devices with either small screen or devices where touch screen is being used.
    Second, drag an drop mechanics can create major problem for universities and other institutions.
    At the moment, on a laptop, the only way to assign item(s) to a collection (or copy to another library) is to use drag-and-drop mechanism. I believe this and re-ordering authors are the only two places where there is no keyboard-only alternative yet. We will look into this.
  • Hi tnajdek,

Lack of keyboard mechanisms to do the functions would be a show stopper. It would cause WCAG 2.0's to fail (as described earlier).

I realize building accessibility features into web content is a team-based effort, so if you'd like support in ensuring that essential user tasks are working in this regard, let me know and I can contribute. Are there any development or production servers where patches can be checked?

Mark
  • edited May 11, 2020
    @mweiler1: Accessibility was a major focus of the new web library — as tnajdek says, to our knowledge every other part of the UI is usable via the keyboard, and that doesn't happen by accident. We're well aware of ARIA practices, and I think you'll find that the web library by and large follows them quite well. This one function isn't currently available via the keyboard in the desktop view, and we've opened an issue to address that.

If you find additional accessibility problems, you can just report them — there's no need for a lecture about the value of accessibility.