Chicago (endnote style) page numbers not updating?

I'm working on a long MS Word document (50 pages double-spaced, ~200 citations) with citations in Chicago endnote style. I'm currently in the stage where I'm fixing citation formatting, and some of my endnotes will not update their page numbers.

e.g., my endnote is:
Office of the State Board of Health, “Does Vaccination Protect Against Smallpox?,” Monthly Bulletin of the California State Board of Health 6, no. 2 (August 1910): 106.

But in my Zotero library, I have pages set as "96-107".

Strangely enough, I can change other parts of the entry in Zotero (e.g., author, or Title), and the endnote will update accordingly after I hit "Refresh" in the document, but the page numbers for this citation (and a couple others) refuse to change.

I tried inserting the endnote on a fresh Word document and it had the updated page numbers & completely correct format, so I'm not sure what's causing Zotero to mess up here. Any suggestions?
  • edited May 9, 2020
    Zotero isn't messing up.

There are two relevant page fields here: the the citation's Page field and the item's Pages field.

When you insert a citation and customize it with a page number, it's the former that's used. If you don't add a page, it will use the Pages value from the item itself.

(If you add a separate bibliography, the bibliography entry will always use the Pages value ("96–107") from the item itself.)
  • I see. I messed around some more and when I removed the citation's page field from the citation (which I don't recall adding for this citation, but I guess I did at some point), it went back to defaulting to the value from the item itself. Thanks!
  • It's not defaulting to anything. The items "Pages" field is the page range of the whole article/chapter within the larger journal/book. That will always be the full page range of the item.

The "Page" field you enter when you insert a citation is where you specify that you are referring to a specific page in the work for that citation.