Exporting Library to Zotero RDF with files

I've got a library of around 150 items at this point, with several (~10) stored copies of files (PDFs). I started an export to Zotero RDF (with notes and files) several minutes ago, and it's still processing.

In a new window, I did an export without files, and it finished relatively quickly (just a few seconds.) So the files (or their size?) are the problem. Importing PDFs was quick, and from what I can tell Zotero just creates copies in the profile, not in the DB, so shouldn't an export just be a matter of copying those files back out to a new destination?
  • edited October 25, 2006
    Is it definitely still processing, or is it possible that it just threw an error during the export? I'd check the error console (assuming showInConsole is on), as that seems more likely to me. (You're right that it just copies them around, so it shouldn't really take much longer even with large files.)
  • An error did indeed occur:

Error: uncaught exception: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS) [nsILocalFile.create]" nsresult: "0x80520008 (NS_ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS)" location: "JS frame :: chrome://zotero/content/xpcom/translate.js :: anonymous :: line 1672" data: no]
  • So, seeing "ERROR_FILE_ALREADY_EXISTS" I decided to try a completely new file name/location for my export, and it worked fine, files and everything.

In case it helps, here's the sequence of events:
    Exported without files: file (no extension) created
    Exported with files: directory of the same name created (with file of same name within it), no prompt for overwrite
    Exported without files again: prompt for overwrite

New location:
    Exported with files: directory created, file of same name within it
    Exported with files again: could not choose same location, each attempt resulted in that directory being opened. Attempting to export within that directory prompted for overwrite (of the file sans extension.)
  • I'm just started using Zotero. Also export problems. The progress dialog keeps saying it is exporting but nothing further. Also when I clear the destination folder, and try again I get "cannot save file". I've tried exporting only the rdf.

What troubleshooting steps can I use. How do I showInConsole?
  • Instructions for turning on showInConsole in the Advanced Instructions section of the Reporting Bugs page: http://www.zotero.org/documentation/reporting_bugs