Library entries with same year and author in Harvard 1

Anybody know how to deal with journal papers from the same year by a single author in Harvard 1. If I insert 1996a; 1996b; 1996c in my library references Zotero blanks all the years to 'oooo'. If I don't distinguish between the papers, there is the potential of confusing the reader as he/she won't know which 1996 paper is being referred to. Thanks in advance.
  • CSL has the ability to disambiguate author/date citations in various ways. What style are you using, how does it currently handle disambiguation, and how do you think it should?
  • Thanks nosagt. I normally use the Harvard ref system (author-date) but trying Chicago Style manual (author-date) at the moment. Ideally, I would like the library to allow me to distinguish between papers of the same year and by the same author. Sounds like I'm missing something here, but if I have 4 papers by the same author from the same year and I am using 'author-date' citation, how is the reader to know which paper is being referred to. That is, when they go to the bibliography they will see 4 papers by that author from that year and not know which is the relevant one. Does this make sense?
  • what should come up is
    Smith 1999a
    Smith 1999b
    Smith 1999c
    Smith 1999d

CMOS does that I believe. If it doesn't one reason might be because your "Smith's" don't look exactly the same, so Zotero thinks you have one Josef Smith and one J. Smith so it give you

J. Smith 1999
    Josef Smith 1999

(but it will also do that in the in-text citation)
  • Just enter the year as 1996 (with no letters appended), choose your preferred style, and cite the documents as normal. Both the Harvard reference format 1style and the Chicago author-date style will automatically disambiguate for you.
  • Great, thanks a lot!