Error Report No. 197706586

Here is the bug I have found in Zotero:

I have changed my MobileMe account, and have already updates the related information in Zotero file sync settings. Now each time I want to load Zotero Preferences pane, Zotero asks me for the username and password of my last MobileMe/WebDav account. Since I don't have the account anymore I click cancel and the same thing happens again. But after the second time the preferences pane open without problem.
  • What do you mean by "Zotero asks me for the username and password of my last MobileMe/WebDav account"? Is this in a standard Firefox password prompt, or somewhere else? Do you see the correct info in the file sync section of the Sync pane?

If you haven't yet, try disabling other Firefox extensions.
  • edited August 14, 2009
    I disabled all the extensions and no change happened to the behavior of Zotero.

Let me explain the problem again, step by step:

1) I click on the preferences... menu item
    2) A webdav user/pass dialog box appears, asking for my old webdav account's credentials. You can see the screen capture of the dialog here: http://it.tinypic.com/r/16k8bav/3
    3) I hit cancel, the dialog closes and reappears. I press cancel again, finally the preferences window comes up.
    4) My webdav settings are intact, set to my new account. Screen capture of webdav settings in preferences: http://it.tinypic.com/r/muk9zc/3. I don't understand how Zotero remembers my old webdav account address!!!

This doesn't make any practical problem for me, except a bit of hassle everytime I open the preferences, but since it is an error that can be hard to reproduce I felt it is useful to report it.

P.S. I think the problem was introduced by b6.4. I was waiting to see if the new patch solves it, but it didn't.
  • First, that's an OS X window, not a Zotero window. So Zotero's not asking you for anything.

Second, if I had to guess, I'd say that at some point you tried to set your Zotero data directory location to a custom location on your iDisk, and when you open the preferences it's attempting to resolve that path, which causes OS X to prompt you for authentication. (In other words, I suspect this has nothing to do with file syncing.)

If I'm right, then type about:config into the Firefox address bar, enter "dataDir" in the Filter line that appears below, and right-click on the three Zotero preferences that show up (dataDir, lastDataDir, and useDataDir), clicking Reset for each one. That should fix it.
  • You are perfectly right. Thanks for help.