Zotero Firefox connector stopped havesting reference details

For the last couple of weeks, I have had some trouble with Zotero. When I click on the Zotero connector, as I find a ref I want to record from the web, my Zotero library only stocks the title of the ref, forcing me to manually fill all other fields (authors name, edition, etc.) to complete the ref. Anyone has an idea what causes this ? Anyone has experienced the same issue ?

I work on MacOS 10.15.4 and Firefox 75.

Thanks !

PG
  • Can you provide a Debug ID from the Zotero Connector for loading a webpage?
  • Here is the number : D964830743

Thanks for checking it !

PG
  • That's from Zotero, not the Zotero Connector.
  • Sorry ! Not familiar with this procedure. Here is the report number : D351668912

Cheers !

PG
  • [JavaScript Error: "Zotero.Proxies.proxies is undefined
    Zotero.Connector_Browser</this._updateExtensionUI@moz-extension://f61aaf8c-9e9f-b145-b71f-0a14e603cce7/background.js:504:1
    Thanks. Can you install the Zotero Connector beta and let us know if that fixes the problem for you? (You'll be able to switch back to the release version later.)
  • Nop, doesn't work either ! Do you want the debug report ?
  • Here : D1749355868
  • Can you try this?

1) Go to about:addons in the Firefox address bar, click the three dots next to Zotero Connector, and click Preferences. In the Advanced pane of the Zotero Connector preferences, under Debug Output Logging, enable "Show in Console".

2) In a new Firefox window, paste about:devtools-toolbox?type=extension&id=zotero%40chnm.gmu.edu into the address bar. Once it loads, click the Console tab.

3) In another window, go to about:addons and disable the Zotero Connector. The Console pane in the first window should clear.

4) Re-enable the Zotero Connector. The Console should then log some lines, and possibly some errors.

If you see any obvious errors (in red), you can paste those here. Otherwise, if you don't mind, select the full output with the mouse, starting at the top, and email it to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. (You can x out any URLs or private information.)

You can then return to the Zotero Connector preferences and disable "Show in Console", and you can close the Toolbox window.
  • Thanks ! I just sent the output. Hope it will help.

Just a thought : can it be related to Better BibTex ?

Cheers !
  • edited May 4, 2020
    No, BBT runs in Zotero. This is in the Zotero Connector.

It looks like some of the info was disabled in your console output you sent, so see my email to you for instructions for turning on all the types of output we need.
  • UnknownError: The operation failed for reasons unrelated to the database itself and not covered by any other error code. 2 ExtensionStorageIDB.jsm:802
    You're getting a weird error here — basically, Firefox is saying, in a particularly unhelpful manner, that it can't access the local storage where extensions store data — but in the latest connector beta we pushed out a fix that might improve things. Update to that (5.0.65beta5) and let us know how it goes.

If it does fix the problem, the underlying issue may still exist, so we'd be curious to know if you're still able to, say, change a preference in the Zotero Connector, restart the browser, and have that preference still be set properly.
  • @gauthp Also if you go to https://firefox-storage-test.glitch.me/ what do you get for each storage subsystem statuses?
  • edited May 5, 2020
    @adomasven Here is what I get. I did check this before moving to the Beta version. Doesn't look good !

----
    Overview:
    Storage is broken. This is your first visit or all storage was automatically cleared.
    Specific Subsystem Statuses:

LocalStorage
    Good: Totally Working. (fullyOperational)
    QuotaManager
    Bad: Totally Broken. (fullyBroken)
    IndexedDB
    Cache API

Debug Info:

storage.estimate() threw: Internal error while estimating storage usage
    Failed to create "persistent" IDB.
    Failed to create "transient" IDB.

{
    "v": 1,
    "curVersion": 75,
    "prevVersion": 0,
    "ls": {},
    "qm": {
    "lastWorkedIn": 0
    },
    "idb": {
    "persistentCreatedIn": 0,
    "persistentLastOpenedIn": 0,
    "clearDetectedIn": 0
    },
    "cache": {
    "firstCacheCreatedIn": 0,
    "unpaddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 0,
    "paddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 0
    }
    }
    ----
  • Ok, it is likely that you will see problems with other extensions too. It might be a good idea to do a Firefox profile reset https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings

It will create a backup of the original profile on your desktop. Please hold on to it for now, we are reporting this issue to Mozilla and they might be able to use your broken profile to debug the issue.
  • Ok ! I resetted FireFox ! I'm holding on to the profile backup.

Thanks !
  • Oh, and btw, Zotero connector still doesn't work properly. So I'm waiting for Mozilla's instructions.

Thanks !
  • If you go to https://firefox-storage-test.glitch.me/ in the new profile, is it broken there too? It's possible that a Firefox refresh doesn't clear the database in question.
  • @dstillman I just clicked the link you posted. Was it all I had to do ? Here is what it said (looks way less dramatic).

Thanks !
    ----

Overview:
    Storage is working. This is your first visit or all storage was automatically cleared.
    Specific Subsystem Statuses:

LocalStorage
    QuotaManager
    IndexedDB
    Cache API

Debug Info:

{
    "v": 1,
    "curVersion": 75,
    "prevVersion": 0,
    "ls": {},
    "qm": {
    "lastWorkedIn": 75
    },
    "idb": {
    "persistentCreatedIn": 75,
    "persistentLastOpenedIn": 75,
    "clearDetectedIn": 0
    },
    "cache": {
    "firstCacheCreatedIn": 75,
    "unpaddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 0,
    "paddedOpaqueCreatedIn": 75
    }
    }
    ----
  • But the Zotero Connector still isn't working properly for you? If not, what's happening? Can you provide another Debug ID from the connector for loading a webpage?
  • As strange as it may seems, everything has now fallen into place. It seems that the system needed some time to settle down. Anyway, now the Zotero connector does harvest all the elements of the refs. Once you get an idea of the cause of this, I would be happy to know about it.

Thanks to both !
  • Do you still have a copy of the old profile?

If so, could you do the following?

1) Open Terminal via Spotlight.

2) Type find followed by a space.

3) In the old profile folder, open the 'storage' folder and drag the 'default' folder to the terminal window. Depending on the location of the folder, the line should turn into something like find /Users/username/Desktop/Old\ Firefox\ Data/storage/default.

4) Continuing on the same line, enter | grep moz-extension. The full line should be something like find /Users/username/Desktop/Old\ Firefox\ Data/storage/default | grep moz-extension

5) Press Return.

You should get a list of files underneath 'storage/default'. Paste that here.
  • edited May 12, 2020
    Here it is :
    -----
    [list removed — D.S.]
    -----
    Cheers !
  • Thanks. Could I trouble you for one more thing from Terminal?

find ~/Desktop/Anciennes\ données\ de\ Firefox/jlfhi3sh.default-1448892245747-1576590833446/storage | grep idb/ | grep -v .sqlite | grep -v .files

You can post the results here or email to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread. (If a website name appears, you can also just x that part out.)
  • No problem ! I sent you the answer by mail.

Thanks !