Mysterious folder in My Library

Hi there -

I had a folder appear in My Library and I have no idea how it got there. The folder name is 72a6aa88-8a76-4458-bf95-71ed1251fe5c.

Perhaps I should submit this as a separate question, but before I delete the folder I'd like to know if those records live in another folder (ie, if they will be moved to the "Unfiled" folder if I remove the collection but not the records, or if they will still have a place somewhere). Is there a way to see which folder(s) an individual record lives in?

My issue is likely user error, but if anyone recognizes the naming syntax or has any words of advice I'd love to hear them.

Cheers,
Kelly

MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
Zotero 5.0.85
  • It's a UUID. That's not a format Zotero uses for anything, but it could easily have come from some import from another program.
    Is there a way to see which folder(s) an individual record lives in?
    https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/collections_containing_an_item
  • Thanks so much (and sorry for the delay). I've had to uninstall Zotero from my laptop, we'll see what happens when I reinstall. It was taking up 107% CPU. I don't know what that means, but IT said to delete it. Fingers crossed.
  • There was certainly no need to uninstall Zotero. If it was hanging for some reason and taking up CPU, quitting it would be sufficient.

If you can reproduce the problem of it taking up CPU, we'd want more details about what exactly you were doing when that occurred.
  • Thanks for your reply.

It was taking up 100+ CPU every time I opened Zotero, regardless of whether I had anything else open yet or not. My IT folks recommended I uninstall and reinstall. It's somewhat better now, but will still occasionally spike and is still incredibly slow. I spend 90% of my time searching PubMed (Chrome), running Zotero, and writing in Word, and am good about shutting anything I'm not currently using down.

This issue is one of MANY I've had with this computer, it's time to just buy a new one and start over.

Thanks so much for your help!
  • If you're seeing continuous 100% CPU while using Zotero, we'd want to see a Debug ID for an operation that was slow. It would be normal for CPU usage to fluctuate, but at idle in the background Zotero should use approximately 0% CPU, and certainly shouldn't stay at 100%.
  • edited June 12, 2020
    It uses 100% of my CPU while idle (Libre Office on Ubuntu). I think the problem is the Libre Office extension. However, followed advice on https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
    and it turned out the problem was with the specific document. Works fine with a fresh copy.