problem with the citation and bibliography

I have to use the APA 6th editiion
-with citation in text: (author,date) --> when I select this on zotero it comes as (author date), without the "," , what should I do

- in the bibliography it doesn't provide the 6th edition neither: American Chemistry Council. 2020. “How Plastics Are Made.” Plastics. Retrieved February 10, 2020 (https://plastics.americanchemistry.com/How-Plastics-Are-Made/). --> there are brackets needed for the date and no brackets for the URL.....
Thanks
  • This isn't APA style at all. How are you generating your citations and where are you selecting the citation style?
    Note that the style in a Word document is set in Zotero's Word add-on under "Document Preferences". The "Style" tab in Zotero's application preferences has no impact on citations anywhere -- it just shows the installed styles.
  • yes that's what I did... I don't understand what's wrong
  • even when I click on refresh it doesn't work..
  • As adamsmith says, that isn’t APA style. Go into Document Preferences in the Zotero tab in Word and be sure to select American Psychological Association (7th edition).
  • yes that's what I did.... I don't understand and can not send a picture in this forum
  • Have you tried in a new document for testing?
    You can upload a screenshot on any free image hosting site (like imgur.com) and link to it here.
  • there is always this problem when I'm trying to refresh it.. https://www.zotero.org/support/kb/debugging_broken_documents
  • When you insert a citation into a new document and select APA style, are you seeing this problem?
  • yes... I've just tried in a completely new document and again same problem '(Geyer, Jambeck, and Law 2017)' without ',' and bibliography: Geyer, Roland, Jenna R. Jambeck, and Kara Lavender Law. 2017. “Production, Use, and Fate of All Plastics Ever Made.” Science Advances 3(7):e1700782.

what should I do...?
  • edited April 30, 2020
    Again, you select the style in the Word plugin's Document Preferences, not in the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences. The latter is just where you manage styles — it's not where you select the style that's used in your document.

From the looks of it, you're using Chicago, not APA. You almost certainly just haven't actually changed the style in the document preferences.

If you think you're changing this in the right place, take a screenshot that shows where you're selecting the style, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here, along with a Debug ID for inserting a citation.
  • D1832835510

and here is a picture of what I did: Word --> Zotero --> Doc preferences --> APA 6th edition... and doesn't work https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xXcYgZ6l_MiXCoL1zuUZ-BznVWjUTMD-/view?usp=sharing
  • You have ASA selected, not APA.

If you want APA 6th, click "Gérer les styles…" and install it from within the Styles preferences.
  • ok perfect thanks a lot!!! How should I do now to adapt this style on the whole document? I've clicked on 'refresh' in the zotero word but it doesn't adapt..
  • If you change the style in the document preferences, any active citations and the active bibliography will be updated to match the style.

What exactly isn't changing?
  • When I refresh It, the documents starts to change all the citations in APA 6th style and then suddenly it stops... "error" of zotero...
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for that?

Generally, though, see Debugging Broken Documents.
  • Debug ID: D1539367882
  • edited May 1, 2020
    That's not a Debug ID — that's a Report ID that for some reason you added a D to. See the instructions I linked to above for providing a Debug ID.
  • @Boonev: Regardless, though, you'll still want to follow the Debugging Broken Documents steps to fix this.
  • sorry, here it is: D18615138
  • edited May 1, 2020
    That doesn't include any actions related to the Word plugin. Again, see the instructions.
  • I followed the actions related to the 'Debugging Broken Documents' and still, when Word refreshs some citatations, suddenly it doesn't work anymore. So half of the document has been updated but not the rest... should I click on 'refresh' when I'm on each citation? I don't understand what I have to do now... thanks for your help!
  • That just means you need to continue follow the debugging steps, which explain how to isolate whatever part of the document is breaking things (and, ideally, send it to us so we can fix the underlying for the future).
  • I did evertyhing... here is the ID problem 904525752
  • No, you didn’t follow the steps. We can’t help you unless you do.