author autocomplete problem - does not separate first and last name?

I do not see others asking this which makes me think I am overlooking something obvious:
In Zotero 1.0, when I manually enter authors, if I select a complete name (i.e. both first and last names) from the auto-complete menu, Zotero puts them both in the last name field.

e.g. I begin typing "jones" - autocomplete drop-down offers me both "Jones" and "Jones, Mary"
- if I am indeed trying to type in Mary Jones' complete name, seems like it would make sense to select that name. But if I do, I am left with "Jones, Mary" as the last name and nothing in the first name field. If I cite that record, "Jones, Mary" remains as is.

This is not a huge issue, but it is bothersome that autocomplete offers the full name option but cannot place the names in the right fields. Has this been answered elsewhere that I do not see?
  • It looks like this happens in 1.0 if "Mary Jones" is entered in single-field mode in another record, but not if it's entered in two-field mode.

I don't recall what changed, but in 2.0, "Jones, Mary" doesn't appear to be offered as a suggestion if "Mary Jones" is entered in single-field mode in another record, so this won't be a problem.