Not able to access library on new computer

On my new computer, the desktop version of Zotero will not let me login with my login and password and so I can't synch my Zotero library with the desktop app on my new laptop. My login and password are correct and, strangely, I can access the library via Zotero's online web libarary. So login and password are correct. What can I do?
  • Almost certainly just something wrong with the credentials you’re entering.

Clear the username and password fields completely, restart Zotero for good measure, and try again.

If you’re still having trouble, provide a Debug ID for a setup attempt that fails. (Your password won’t be logged.)
  • D1442250607
  • There’s no sync setup attempt in there.

What are you actually doing, step by step? What’s the actual message you’re receiving?

The debug output is also for Zotero startup. It should just be for the specific operation in question.
  • 1. I double-clicked on the Zotero icon on a Windows 10 Pro desktop.
    2. The program opens up with a text that starts with the heading "Welcome to Zotero"
    3. I clicked on the green round arrow on the upper right
    4. A window opens up that tells me to fill in my login and password if I want to synch
    5. On this window there is a button to open up synchronization
    6. I clicked on this button and this led me to a window where I can type in my login name and the password
    7. I did that and pressed ok
    8. The window where I typed in the login and password disappeared
    9. I could now see the starting "Welcome to Zotero" window, but with a red "!" next to the green round arrow.
    10. No synchronization happened, I tried every combination of login and password with no effect.
    11. I repeated the whole story for about 30 times.
  • You need to click Set Up Syncing. Clicking OK just closes the preferences window.
  • Great, that worked, thanks a lot!