Syncing Files

Hello.

Apolgies if this has been answered eleswhere.
I just moved over to trying zotero having been using jabref.
I imported one of my bibtex files as a trial and that worked fine.
i was then able to set it up so that synced fine between my desktop and the usb stick i run zotero off at work.

However I am having issues syncing the actual pdfs.
At home i did this:
I have a box.net account
I entered the details of this under the preference section of zotero.
I then dragged and dropped the files from my hard drive at home on to the relevant entry in my reference library.
On my home computer zotero did its thing and saved a copy of these files in its storage directory.
When it synced it saved a copy into my box.net account (I checked that it had done this)

However When I use zotero at work:
Although it syncs with my zotero account and downloads my reference library it does not seem to sync via box.net to give me access to the accompanying pdfs.

Am i attaching the files the wrong way?
Have I set up syncing the wrong way?
Or have I misunderstood how the syncing actually works (i assumed that if i linked a file on my home computer I would then be able to retrieve it via my box account at work)

Many thanks for suggestions and help
  • this should work.
    Don't be offended, but it's often the trivial things - do you have the "Enable File Syncing" option checked in your preferences for your work Zotero?
    You don't get any error message?
    Is the "Report Error" option greyed out or can you report and error after syncing at work?
  • working now.
    i had it set up differently between the 2 systems.
    copied home computer settings on to portable FF version and now working fine.

as a secondary question -
    every time I sync is it going to update every file or just the ones I have made changes to? this obviously affects how much data needs to be sent between my computer and my box account.
    as a collollary to this - each time i sync the files is this going to duplicate them on the box account or not?
  • good.
    The intended behavior is certainly only to upload files that have been changed and to not duplicate files. Anything else would be a bug.