Errors in Lancet and PlOS Medicine style

the existing styles of Lancet and PlOS Medicine have errrors - is there a correct version around? That would be extremely helpful!
  • Could you please specify the errors? Without specific documentation, it's not going to be easy to address your problem.
  • Sorry for this long delay, here are the styles of Plos Medicine for an article, the correct one and the one seen in Zotero

So in Plos Medicine Correct:
    Lopez AD, Mathers CD, Ezzati M, Jamison DT, Murray CJ (2006) Global and regional burden of disease and risk factors, 2001: Systematic analysis of population health data. Lancet 367: 1747–1757.

So in Zotero under style Plos Medicine not correct:
    Kötter P, CiriacyM. Xylose fermentation by Saccharomys cerevisisae. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol. 1993 Mar 1;38(6):776-783.
  • edited September 16, 2009
    But this is not the same article. Can you get us the correct and the Zotero-generated citations of one and the same article so that the differences are easy to spot? I can see that the year in the second version doesn't follow the authors as it does in the first one; but there's probably more.
  • ok it will take some minutes!
  • here a sample wioth the same article!
    So in Zotero

1. Manzi F, Schellenberg J, Hamis Y, Mushi AK, Shirima K, Mwita A, et al. Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria and anaemia control in Tanzanian infants; the development and implementation of a public health strategy. Trans. R. Soc. Trop. Med. Hyg. 2009 Jan ;103(1):79-86.

Correct Plos style:

1. Manzi F, Schellenberg J, Hamis Y, Mushi AK, Shirima K, Mwita A, Simba A, Rusibamayila N, Kitambi M, Tanner M, Alonso P, Mshinda H, Schellenberg D (2009) Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria and anaemia control in Tanzanian infants; the development and implementation of a public health strategy. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103: 79-86. S0035-9203(08)00353-2 [pii];10.1016/j.trstmh.2008.08.014 [doi].
  • that seems easy to fix - do you have access to a styleguide? Currently Plose Medicine is just the Vancouver style. Is that wrong?
    Is Vancouver wrong?
  • edited September 16, 2009
    http://www.plosmedicine.org/static/guidelines.action#preparation
    But note that immler gave incorrect information.
    Please list the first five authors and then add "et al."
    The date is in the wrong place if the Zotero citation is correct. What is "0035-9203(08)00353-2 [pii]" doing in there; PIIs aren't givenin the documentation & would be redundant to the doi. Also, the doi is only
    acceptable as an alternative to or in addition to traditional volume and page numbers.
    So:

Manzi F, Schellenberg J, Hamis Y, Mushi AK, Shirima K, et al. (2009) Intermittent preventive treatment for malaria and anaemia control in Tanzanian infants; the development and implementation of a public health strategy. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 103: 79-86.

would be correct & require only two minor corrections from the example provided of what Zotero exports. Note that the current CSL in Zotero won't be able to adjust the journal abbreviation (by stripping periods).
  • Also, in-text citations should be in brackets, not parantheses.

I hate it when journals put these vague style guides out.
    What about issue numbers? Never? Only not for continued pagination?
    What about different editions of a book? grumble.
    If you don't want to write your own style, keep to a fricking standard.
  • What is "0035-9203(08)00353-2 [pii]"?
    The Publisher Item Identifier:

http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/ectoc/ectoc_pii.html
  • yes, i realize that. what is it doing in the citation?
  • edited September 17, 2009
    OK - I created a new PLoS Medicine style which should be up pretty soon
    The repository is a bit slow currently, so just in case the download link for manual install until it's up is:
    https://www.zotero.org/trac/export/5138/csl/plos-medicine.csl
    (when you go to the style repository the date behind PLoS Medicine should be september 2009 - not something 2008, that's the wrong, old style.

Edit: no Doi in the style as it was optional.
  • edited September 17, 2009
    If you can do the same for Lancet, I'll correct that one, too. (Lancet also currently just links to Vancouver)
  • Hi,

I have run into an issue with the current Lancet formatting in Zotero. Could anyone help to fix these issues? Thanks so much!

Zotero
    Saito N, Ebara S, Ohotsuka K, Kumeta H, Takaoka K. Natural history of scoliosis in spastic cerebral palsy. The Lancet. 1998 Jun 6;351(9117):1687-1692.

Current Lancet style
    1[tab]Saito N, Ebara S, Ohotsuka K, Kumeta J, Takaoka K. Natural history of scoliosis in spastic cerebral palsy. Lancet [italics] 1998; 351[bold]: 1687–[en rule] 92.

The main issues I find are the return instead of tab, journal title not being in italics, no space after semicolon or colon, volume number not bold and a hyphen instead of an en rule.
  • Is there a styleguide for Lancet online? Link? Also, could you find out for me how it formats books and book chapters?
    Of the issues you find I cannot reproduce the return instead of tab after the citation number. Also, currently Zotero just uses whatever delimiter is in the page field. If you put an en-dash there, it will print an en-dash. En-dashes will be set automatically eventually, not sure how soon, but if it's important to you, you can change the data in Zotero.
  • Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response. Page 5 of this document contains the style information.

http://download.thelancet.com/flatcontentassets/authors/lancet-information-for-authors.pdf

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks!
  • OK, I just pushed a Lancet style that should show up on the repository soon (as "The Lancet") any problems let me know.
  • Sorry for the delayed response. I was just working with the Lancet style and found another error. When you cite multiple sources for one reference they are separated by a normal comma instead of a superscript comma. Would this be something easy to fix? Thanks!
  • that certainly shouldn't be the case - you're using the most recent version of the style and Zotero 2.1.10 (or the beta)?
  • The Lancet style in Zotero doesn't work accurately. Citations are in parantheses and normal size, instead of superscripts without parantheses. Also, the issue number of journals are in parantheses and plain text, instead of being without parantheses and not in bold.
  • Do you have the most recent version of the style from the repository? All of this is correct in the style.
  • Apologies for the oversight! I Just updated the citation style and it works great!
  • edited June 2, 2013
    Sorry for picking up this issue again since you might have solved it allready, although I do not get it. For the details: Journal-articles of The Lancet or Nature are not imported into Zotero right away if I use Safari (there is an immediate error message refering to a translator issue), and without the PDF in Firefox. Is there anything I might do or should not...to avoid/solve this. It is rather bothering to make the work arround. So I would appreciate any advice to solve this issue.

Thanx
  • This is about the citation style, not import. Start a new thread, please and provide sample URLs exactly as you see them.
  • Hi adam,

Sorry for a late input. May I offer a couple of corrections to the zotero style for The Lancet? Thanks very much for keeping this record updated.

Web links:

3[tab]Hartman P, Bezos JP, Kaphan S, Spiegel J. Method and system for placing a purchase order via a communications network. 1999. https://www.google.com/patents/US5960411 (accessed May 12, 2013). <space between year and link, accessed date in month day, year).

Months should be abbreviated as Jan, Feb, March, April, May, June, July, Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec.

Books:

5[tab]Sambrook J, Russell DW. Molecular cloning: a laboratory manual, 3rd edn. Cold Spring Harbor, NY: CSHL Press, 2001. <'edn' instead of 'ed', colon after publisher's location>

And for journal articles that have been published online but not yet received a print citation (not sure it zotero supports this):

Ovayolu O, Ovayolu N, Karadag G. Workplace bullying in nursing. [itals]Workplace Health Saf[/itals] 2014; published online Aug 11. DOI:10.3928/21650799-20140804-04.

Note that the DOI is not used otherwise.

This is also the case for Lancet Infectious Diseases, The Lancet Neurology, and The Lancet Oncology.

Cheers!

(disclaimer: I work as a Lancet copyeditor but opinions are my own)
  • The style is now fixed. The updated version will appear on the repository within 30mins (check the timestamp). Update your copy of the style by clicking "Update Now" in the General tab of the Zotero preferences.

Styles also update automatically within 24hs for Zotero 4.0+
    In an existing document, you may have to switch to a different style and back for the changes to take effect once the style is updated.

Any further problems please let us know & thanks for reporting--we really do appreciate journal editors and copyeditors letting us know about issues in particular.