New/compact “Add/Edit Citation” bar deletes pre-existing content

edited April 5, 2020
Hi guys!

I am, so to speak, a potential high-profile defector from the Mendeley camp (I'm currently the admin of a nearly 6000-member-strong Mendeley users Facebook group). I am fed up with its issues and will likely jump ship to Zotero whatever the outcome of this particular gripe, as it seems more stable and future-proof.

However, I am missing a few things terribly from Mendeley: one of them is the simple, two-click (or one-click-plus-macro) citation editing interface. It's one of the few UX details that they got right.

See, I get that you were trying to replicate that with the new “Add/Edit Citation” bar, and even managed to do so when it comes to ADDING new citations; however, its functionality is incomplete, buggy and misleading in its name since currently it cannot EDIT citations (not on my setup, at least), as it discards whatever contents were inputted. Functionally, it's no different than just deleting them altogether and starting over.

The only way I can seem to edit an already existing citation without destroying its content in the process is by using the classic citation window. It's extremely powerful, but I'd rather use it only for editing existing citations or adding more complex citations from scratch, as its interface is rather busy, and probably use the new bar – yes, even by default – just for adding new and simpler ones.

The thing is, and to make matters worse, if one leaves the new bar on by default, toggling to the advanced, classic window entails destroying the content in the process (unless, of course, one goes to the trouble of manually changing the default in Zotero's preference window, bhat that would be sheer insanity). This is a bit of a catch-22 that makes the compact interface utterly useless.

If you want me to do a video demo or something, I'll be more than happy to do so.
  • However, I am missing a few things terribly from Mendeley: the simple, one-click citation editing interface. It's one of the few things that they got right.
    Not sure what you're referring to, but citing in Zotero literally requires pressing one button, typing an author or title, and pressing Return. What do you feel is missing?
    it CANNOT “edit” citations (not on my setup, at least), as it discards whatever contents were inputted there
    That's certainly not normal behavior. Clicking Add/Edit Citation when the cursor is in a citation opens the citation dialog (red bar) with the selected citation in a blue bubble, and you can click on the bubble to customize the citation with page numbers, prefixes, etc.

If that's not what you're seeing, can you provide exact steps to reproduce whatever it is that you're seeing in a new document? If you can't reproduce it in a new document, see Debugging Broken Documents for an existing document where you're seeing this.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Well, I've migrated from a Mendeley 1.8 setup (which I had downgraded from the latest 1.9.x dev beta earlier), after I installed the latest Zotero beta so I could get the Safari 13 extension, but am using the latest stable version (as per your instructions on the website) on macOS Catalina 10.15.4. I believe I installed the plugins through the stable release, not the beta.

The document is a brand new, blank document on Microsoft Word 16.35 (20030802). So, as you can see, I have pretty much everything up to date, and would never mess around with existing documents as I am a recent switcher (I would, of course, start redoing some papers with Zotero just to get a feel for it). As for syncing, I'm using ZotFile to sync my PDF library on a Google Drive folder.

And the steps are basically inserting a new citation on an empty document, clicking it, editing it, and boom, it's back to square one, said bubble is gone. I can definitely edit each reference while the bar is open, but as soon as I commit to those changes, the bar is next to useless.

Also, the same behaviour happens in LibreOffice 6.3.5.2… It seems the common denominator here is Zotero…
  • Oh, I should also add that I can very easily trigger an annoying error message by opening the bar or the classic window, clicking on the page, deleting the {Citation} placeholder, then opening it again and doing things the right way.

While I loathe Mendeley's quirks, Zotero does seem to be less forgiving of user error… Ideally, clicking outside of the bar should make it disappear outright, just like in Mendeley.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    As I've said, I'll be more than happy to provide you with screen captures, documents (not that I believe those would help in any way, as they are completely blank .docx affairs), logs, the works. ;)
  • And the steps are basically inserting a new citation on an empty document, clicking it, editing it, and boom, it's back to square one, said bubble is gone.
    I still don't know what you mean by that. See Steps to Reproduce for the kind of description we'd need.

You can also take a video, upload it somewhere (e.g., Dropbox), and provide a link here. The Add/Edit Citation bar obviously does what it says normally, and you can read through how it's meant to work in the documentation.

And let's drop the "useless" talk. There's a good chance this is a misunderstanding on your part.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Ok, fair enough. I'll do so and provide the link on this post as soon as I'm done.

Here it is!
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/12rvYaLTlM3KNukb_eTE9PhLTeTiUbFxM/view?usp=sharing
  • edited April 5, 2020
    As for the other “bug”, alternatively, touching the {Citation} placeholder in any way, or typing elsewhere on the page at all, should indeed kill the classic window or the bar, IMHO. I'm not a UX expert by any means, but I did study it during my BFA and first MA, and it is a bit weird how easy it is to get it to throw error messages so consistently. As for the UX principle itself, I'm not sure of the proper name of it, but I believe it's related to modal interfaces…?
  • Also, I tried reinstalling the Word extension, to no avail.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Ok, a bit of good news: I can't reproduce the citation bar bug on my MacBook Pro (the second one, however, is consistent and reproducible). I will try a reboot, maybe something's up.
  • Hmm, that's certainly not the normal behavior, though there was another report of this recently. We haven't been able to reproduce it, and it went away on its own for that person. Can you provide a Debug ID for inserting a citation, clicking on it, clicking Add/Edit Citation, getting an empty box, and pressing Esc?

(Just to clarify, what you're calling the "new" bar has been the default citing interface since 2011, so whatever this is is some sort of recent bug or conflict that most people aren't seeing.)
  • As for the other “bug”, alternatively, touching the {Citation} placeholder in any way, or typing elsewhere on the page at all, should indeed kill the classic window or the bar, IMHO.
    One issue with just closing the bar when it loses focus is that people sometimes do switch to the main Zotero window to browse through collections (as an alternative to using the classic dialog). The plan is to eventually either integrate some sort of collection browsing into the Quick Format dialog and get rid of the classic dialog or provide a plugin button to insert the currently selected item in Zotero, at which point closing the dialog when it loses focus would probably make sense (if we can do it on a technical level).

Detecting typing would likely be a bit more invasive than we want the plugin to be within Word, but we may be able to better handle the case of "{Citation}" being deleted or edited. @adomasven would have a better idea on that front.
  • Here's the Debug ID: D2026365686
  • Well, after a reboot it solved itself, but I still got a bunch of 00:00:00 (kind of like an empty timestamp) and an error message after selecting the citation style on my first attempt.
  • If you haven't restarted Zotero since that error, can you provide a Report ID?

Can you reproduce the "00:00:00" thing?

@adomasven will probably have other questions, but I'd guess there's some sort of detritus in your Word installation that's causing problems here. You might try 1) with a clean Normal.dotm and 2) with any other plugins removed.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Unfortunately, in the process of troubleshooting this I rebooted the machine straight away, sorry.

As for the zero thing, I can frequently catch a glimpse of them (some frames) every now and then. I'll try screencapping it.
  • edited April 5, 2020
    Here it is, it appears when inserting the very first citation, in an empty document, right after selecting the citation style. It seems to be an empty date/time timestamp: 00/00/00 00:00:00

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18CM-VRHB-a9-zQ1atYe9P18ozDULmrI9/view?usp=sharing
  • edited April 5, 2020
    As for plugins, that's a sensible idea. I still haven't gotten around to uninstall Mendeley's own stuff. I'll also try cleaning up and using all the default templates, sure.
  • Heh, I just went to ~/Library/Group Containers/[Office]/User Content/Templates and realized I have not one, but five Normal.dotm* files. I'll move the lot outside and see how it goes.
  • I do see the empty timestamp for a split second before "{Citation}" appears. I don't know the technical reason for that or if we can avoid it, but Adomas would know.

Getting an error, obviously, shouldn't happen regardless, so we'll see if we can figure out why that happened for you. In any case, I'll let Adomas take it from here. Thanks for the clear debugging info, and sorry for these initial troubles!
  • Well, no worries, the timestamp thing is merely cosmetic, and the other was just a slight scare and a bit of PEBCAK, heh; it's troubleshooting 101, if I had tested it right away on the MacBook, I'd have rebooted straight away. On the plus side, you got a log out of it, and maybe it can help me or other users down the road.

As for the other error message, it might warrant a post on its own as it's likely a bit jarring for less experienced users, I can assure you. As for me, I'd rather spend my free time contributing to this project with string localization than being an admin of a group of users of an app – Mendeley – whose future I don't believe in. Your swift response is already very refreshing in comparison, thanks!
  • Oh, I should also add that I can very easily trigger an annoying error message by opening the bar or the classic window, clicking on the page, deleting the {Citation} placeholder, then opening it again and doing things the right way.
    [...]
    As for the other “bug”, alternatively, touching the {Citation} placeholder in any way, or typing elsewhere on the page at all, should indeed kill the classic window or the bar, IMHO
    While this would be desirable, none of the word processors that Zotero integrates with allows the sort of granular monitoring of the document required to implement this. Displaying an error message if the placeholder is tampered with is the best option we have, and we could perhaps provide a more descriptive error message than what we do currently.
    Ideally, clicking outside of the bar should make it disappear outright, just like in Mendeley.
    Mendeley right now has multiple citing plugins so I'm not sure which one you are referring to and whether both of them actually work like that. Either way, Zotero right now integrates with 4 document processors: Word for Windows, Word for macOS, LibreOffice and Google Docs, the latter 2 working all platforms. Due to vast differences and limitations across OS'es and document processors, making this work right with them all is somewhere between impossible and insanely difficult. Even getting one of them to work that way (Word for macOS probably being the best candidate) would be very hard due to Apple and Microsoft restricting various OS features like window focus management to client apps in the recent years. Beside the technical hurdles there are other reasons why this might not be the desirable behavior as described by Dan above.
    Well, after a reboot it solved itself, but I still got a bunch of 00:00:00 (kind of like an empty timestamp) and an error message after selecting the citation style on my first attempt.
    The "00/00/00 00:00:00" you're seeing is related to how Zotero inserts its citation fields (which originally need to be inserted with type datetime). It is purely cosmetic. If you can reproduce any error messages when selecting a style or getting the datefield stuck then please submit a Debug ID and steps to reproduce and we'll look into it.
    And the steps are basically inserting a new citation on an empty document, clicking it, editing it, and boom, it's back to square one, said bubble is gone.
    If you see this issue coming back please post on the forums again with as much information about what may have possibly changed on your system since the problem appeared regarding Word updates/configuration and/or OS changes.
  • Hi adomasven,

Thank you for your detailed comment. I completely understand those issues arising form cross-platform compatibility, and I accept them as an inevitable shortcoming. No worries there, I will adapt.

As for the timestamp thing, I quickly realized it was merely cosmetic, and maybe it was only noticeable because I was low on memory (even with 40 GB of it… I probably had some memory-sucking sinkhole running at that point) and my Mac was lagging terribly to the point that Word/Zotero got stuck like that for a few frames, but otherwise it's fine.

As for the other bug, or any other serious bugs, sure, count me in. I'm all for F/OSS tools, and like to help to the best of my abilities.