Problems with Zotero in Google Docs

I love using Zotero in Google docs; however, I find some citations are not staying active and then my AMA numbers get all out of sorts. I can’t deal with that when I have 100 or more references. I don’t have the issue in word? Does anyone know why this may be happening?

Thank you,

Natalie
  • What browser are you using? What version of the Zotero Connector?

The latest connector version, which just came out a couple days ago, fixed a potential cause of citations becoming unlinked when cutting and pasting them within a Google Doc. It can also happen if you or anyone else editing the document makes changes without having the Zotero Connector installed.

If this previously happened to any citations, you'll need to delete and reinsert them. If you can reproduce it going forward with citations that are working now, we'd want to know.
  • I use chrome and I am on the most recent version of the connector (I assume) - I do all the updates? It says that I am version 5.0.85 when I click on my Zotero.

I do sometimes work with another person in google docs without Zotero (won't do that anymore, but wish I could as this was the point of working in google docs). In this case I had not worked with anyone in this document and the problem still occurred. The connector was installed at all times. It was just a few citations -- but it threw off the entire paper. From now on I plan to use the connecter only in word until I know this won't happen.
  • Well, again, we fixed an issue in the most recent connector version where this could happen in certain situations, and we're not aware of any reason it should happen going forward as long as everyone editing has the connector. If you like using Zotero in Google Docs, there shouldn't be a need to avoid that.

If you're worried it might happen again, you could use an author-date style while editing to make sure that even an unlinked citation would still show you the citation in question and simply switch to AMA at the end. You can also just keep an eye on it and use the Google Doc's version history to revert changes if there's ever a problem.
    I do sometimes work with another person in google docs without Zotero (won't do that anymore, but wish I could as this was the point of working in google docs).
    Just to clarify, they don't need Zotero. They just need the Zotero Connector installed if they're going to cut/paste citations.
  • Hi there! Thank you for the strategies. You gave me some good tips. Is it fair to say as long as they don't touch citations, another person could edit the text in google docs?

So, since the update (around 3/24/20) this issue I am describing should be resolved?

Thank you!

Natalie
  • Is it fair to say as long as they don't touch citations, another person could edit the text in google docs?
    I'll let @adomasven comment on that. Cutting/pasting the citations is what should matter, but it's possible there are other operations that could affect the citations. It's obviously also possible that someone might alter one by accident when making other edits, which is why we generally recommend that everyone editing the document have the connector.
    So, since the update (around 3/24/20) this issue I am describing should be resolved?
    Yes, for currently active citations. Any citations that were previously unlinked will need to be reinserted, unfortunately.
  • Yes, it is generally safe for anyone to edit a document with Zotero citations as long as they're not copying/cutting and pasting citations around. Although we highly recommend the editors install the Zotero Connector just in case. Note that the Zotero software itself is not required in that case, the editor just needs the Connector.