Zotero sync over pcloud

Report ID 33838131. Zotero 5.0.85 on macOS 10.14.6.

A couple of days ago Zotero was failing to sync over pcloud. I checked my pcloud account and it's using <2Gb of the 10Gb allocation.

Update: today Zotero appears to be syncing but on attempting to verify the server this msg was returned:

"A potential problem was found with your WebDAV server.

An uploaded file was not immediately available for download. There may be a short delay between when you upload files and when they become available, particularly if you are using a cloud storage service.

If Zotero file syncing appears to work normally, you can ignore this message. If you have trouble, please post to the Zotero Forums."

Additionally, I reported the issue to pcloud and their response was:

"Unfortunately, issues with the Zotero database data are expected. If Zotero has the database open and pCloud writes to it, and then Zotero writes to it again, there's a good chance you're going to get a corrupted database.

Zotero sets locking_mode=EXCLUSIVE on the file to prevent it from being changed by other SQLite clients, but pCloud and other sync tools don't know anything about that. So there's no point debugging file-level corruption issues because Zotero simply isn't designed to expect that the data in the database can change out from underneath it.

The best possible workaround is to save the Zotero database data to your computer and then manually upload it to pCloud via the Website interface instead of the desktop app."

Thanks.

• I think that's a misunderstanding on pcloud support's part. What they describe is what would happen if you used pcloud to sync the Zotero database by placing the zotero data folder into pcloud's syncing folder, which you should absolutely never do -- but it also doesn't sound like that's what you're doing. You're just using their webDAV server and that should absolutely work with any correctly specified webDAV.
  • edited April 3, 2020
    Yes, their suggestion to manually upload the Z-database didn't seem right as well as a PITA. And it appears that the pcloud server is currently syncing properly with Zotero over webDAV.