Problem with HTML tags within Zotero fields

Hello,

Using some HTML tags to format my references (as <sup> and <i>), I’ve met an unexpected problem while using those references in my bibliography.

Some of the tags are understand as HTML and return as they should be, while other are read as special character (&lt;i&gt;).

It looks like to happen quite randomly. For example, "I. <i>The Theban Necropolis</i> 1. <i>Private Tombs</i>" will have the both parts within <i> in italic while "I. <i>The Theban Necropolis</i> 2. <i>Royal Tombs and smaller Cemeteries</i>" will have only the first part in italic and the second part will be return as: "<i>Royal Tombs and smaller Cemeteries</i>" in the bibliography (so with &lt; and &gt; instead of the < and >).

I didn’t find an answer to this problem during my research, does anybody have the same issue or a solution?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Nicolas
  • I'm not seeing that. What citation style? How are you generating the bibligraphy?

    Can you post a RIS export for the two items in question?
  • In your example, it looks like your opening and closing i tags are mismatched. Perhaps that is the issue?
  • I'm not seeing where they're mismatched.
  • There was an extra opening tag before “in italic”, but I see more carefully now that it is just the narrative description
  • Thank you for your answers.

    The problem occur while creating the bibliography in HTML or while using it in Microsoft Word with a style that I'm creating but also with others I've tried as "Chicago Manual of Style 17th edition (full note)" or "The Journal of Egyptian Archaeology".

    The problem doesn’t occur while using the Zotero API.

    The problem occurs only with the data in the "Volume" field.

    You will find below the RIS export of my two examples:

    TY - BOOK
    TI - Topographical bibliography of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic texts, reliefs, and paintings
    AU - Porter, Bertha
    AU - Moss, Rosalind
    CY - Oxford
    DA - 1960///
    PY - 1960
    ET - 2
    VL - I. <i>The Theban Necropolis</i> 2. <i>Royal Tombs and smaller Cemeteries</i>
    LA - Anglais
    ST - <i>PM I.2</i>
    KW - TNS_Porter_Moss1960b
    ER -

    TY - BOOK
    TI - Topographical bibliography of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic texts, reliefs, and paintings
    AU - Porter, Bertha
    AU - Moss, Rosalind
    CY - Oxford
    DA - 1960///
    PY - 1960
    ET - 2
    VL - I. <i>The Theban Necropolis</i> 1. <i>Private Tombs</i>
    LA - Anglais
    ST - <i>PM I.1</i>
    KW - TNS_Porter_Moss1960a
    ER -
  • Sorry to restart this old discussion but I still haven't found a solution to this problem.

    I don't really understand why some html tags are not read.

    Here two example with the API using the RIS data above :
  • When I import this RIS, the tags are stripped on import. When I re-add them and create a bibliography with chicago-athor-date, I get:


    Porter, Bertha, and Rosalind Moss. 1960a. Topographical bibliography of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic texts, reliefs, and paintings. 2nd ed. Vol. I. The Theban Necropolis 2. <i>Royal Tombs and smaller Cemeteries</i>. Oxford.


    ———. 1960b. Topographical bibliography of ancient Egyptian hieroglyphic texts, reliefs, and paintings. 2nd ed. Vol. I. The Theban Necropolis 1. Private Tombs. Oxford.




    So that seems replicable.
Sign In or Register to comment.