Auditing storage space consumption

In principle, I am fine with current Zotero's policy to charge those who use their servers to store above a certain amount of data (300 MB as of April 2020). However, users should be able to easily audit their data consumption. A simple "Windows Explorer"-like tool could suffice to sort stored files by size and allow users to delete the larger files or duplicated PDFs related to the same bibliographical reference, for instance. I am quite sure I could save some space right now - but how to identify the "big elephants in the room"? Could anyone share their experiences or provide me with some guidance on how to deal with this issue?
Thanks!
  • All files are in the storage folder in the Zotero in the Zotero data directory. You can use any standard disk space analyzer on that directory https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
  • Thanks, Adam. Does it mean that deleting data stored locally will free up some Zotero space automatically?
  • edited April 2, 2020
    First, just to clarify, this is about files, not "data" — data syncing is unlimited.

To delete a large file you've identified, don't delete the file on disk. Copy the 8-character folder name into the Zotero search bar in All Fields & Tags mode in the root of your library, delete the attachment that comes up, and empty the trash.