SBL Bibliography

Hey all. If this has been discussed elsewhere, please redirect me.

What I'd like to do is to have the SBL style dispense with the abbreviations for journal and series title in the bibliography and use the full titles. I'm happy to edit the CSL myself, but I haven't done nearly enough to go in willy nilly and find what I'm after.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.
  • That is set via form="short" on a title or collection-title variable. So just removing form="short" will give you the full title. That's easy enough to edit, even in SBL.

General instructions here: https://www.zotero.org/support/dev/citation_styles/style_editing_step-by-step
  • Thanks! How do I find where this will affect the bibliography? I found where to make the change for the footnotes (if I wanted to do that), but I'm not sure where the biblio is. Is it not a separate container? (pardon me if I'm using the terminology incorrectly!)
  • The bibliography is at the very bottom, just below the "citation" part that you edited. So you'd want to look in the macros mentioned in that part.

I'd open up the CSL editor and then remove the short part and just see which one it is. ;)

(I'm not helping you more specifically cause you seemed to be eager to learn. If you cant find it, let us know what exactly you want to achieve and we'll point you in the right direction).
  • I appreciate it. I'm having trouble figuring out how to make the change. I only know HTML and CSS--I'm a little out of my depth here!
  • "Series Title" is the collection-title variable in CSL. So you want to change the macro with the same name. (You'll see that there is two, one called collection-title-note and one collection-title. The one with -note is for the footnote, the other one is for the bibliography.)

(To share code you can upload it to PasteBin or something similar and just post the link here. Easier than a screenshot)
  • @damnation Ok, I got the CSL edited to show the full journal title in the bib and abbreviation in the footnotes. Could you tell me what to look for if I want to do the same with a book in a series?
  • collection-title is the variable and you need to remove the short setting, as mentioned above.
  • @damnation Thanks for your help--I finally got those elements the way I want! However, there's one more tweak I need to make and it's the way book sections are fotmatted in SBL.

SBL
    Edmonds, Radcliffe G. “Imagining the Afterlife.” Pages 551–63 in The Oxford Handbook of Ancient Greek Religion. Edited by Esther Eidinow and Julia Kindt. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.

Desired format
    Edmonds, Radcliffe G. “Imagining the Afterlife.” In The Oxford Handbook of Ancient Greek Religion, edited by Esther Eidinow and Julia Kindt, 551–63. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2015.

How do I change it to capitalize "in" and place the page #s after the editors?
  • edited April 9, 2020
    Can you share your code via PasteBin/HasteBin? (Not megaupload)

The editor label will have text-case set as capitalize-first. Remove that. The reverse for the term "in" to get it capitalised.

The comma before edited: need to see the code.
  • Is it the macro at line 417 that would affect this?
  • Exactly. Macro "container-title": You'll want to remove the page label (not needed anymore per your above example) and move the page variable to the position you want and then set the capitalize-first on the term "in".

The "edited by" can be changed in the macro "editor-translator" which gets called in "container-contribturs".

And to get the comma between container-title and container-contributor you need to move those two macros into a new group and set the delimiter=", ".

Let us know if you manage, otherwise happy to help. :)
  • Thanks for the help @damnation. I'm not quite sure of how to make those changes, despite your instructions (it's me, not your directions!). I just learn better from doing myself WHILE watching someone else do it so they can explain as I go. Would you be willing to show me how to make those last changes? I'm very near the end of my dissertation and I'm not going to tackle the bibliography until everything else is finished, but man I'd love to be able to fix that so it will look just how I want it.

I know everyone's got the own thing going, so if you don't have time/desire, I totally understand. Let me know what you think.
  • @adamsmith I know you COULD (technical skills), but would you have the time/inclination to help with these couple of modifications?
  • @jgar79
    Can you share your code again? then I'll have a look.
  • @damnation Sure thing. Thanks for considering it! https://pastebin.com/Ph0v7Ubt
  • @damnation Thank you SO MUCH!!! It seems to be working perfectly!!