Modifying citations in Word = loss of reference in bibliography?

I’m revising a paper which has intext citations throughout that I have been added via Zotero. In my revising process, I have manually edited some of these in-text citations to appear differently as a matter of style (and thus if the citations exist in different parts of the paper, they may look different). For instance, I’ve changed this sentence:

One argument positions antibiotics as so entangled in and upholding systems of modern life so as to be regarded as infrastructure (Chandler, 2019).

To this sentence:

Chandler (2019) advances an argument which positions antibiotics as so entangled in and upholding systems of modern life so as to be regarded as infrastructure.

I understand that they won’t get updated if I decide to change the style in which I want all my intext citations to appear, but I don’t intend on changing the style, so I am okay with this. There are a couple of things I'm unclear on however.

When I try to add new references into the text, I am prompted with a window telling me that I have modified another citation. It asks me if I want to keep the modifications which will prevent future updates, in which case I am warned that Zotero won’t be able to update the citation if I add additional ones (by this do they mean I won’t be able to add additional citations to the same sentence, like having two citations next to one another? Ex. (Chandler, 2019; Harris, 2016)), switch styles, or modify the reference to which it refers (on this last point, I assume they mean modify the reference as it appears in the bibliography at the end of the paper?). It does not let me proceed to insert the new citation until I have responded to the message about each previously modified citation, of which, there are many!

If I choose ‘yes’ to keep my modifications to all the changes I made (and thus forego the possibility of Zotero being able to update the citations if I change style, or apparently, its reference in the bibliography), does this prompt Zotero to believe that the reference is no longer in the paper? Will this mean that if I add a new citation and reference and thus need to update the bibliography, that the newly updated bibliography will no longer include the references of citations which I have modified and chosen to keep modifcations of??

Thanks!
  • You can suppress the author in order to achieve what you want. Then the citation will also get updated. See: https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage

Above documentation might also answer your other questions.
  • Avoiding to manually modify citations is very much recommended, so do follow damnation's advice and link, but for your specific questions:
    by this do they mean I won’t be able to add additional citations to the same sentence, like having two citations next to one another? Ex. (Chandler, 2019; Harris, 2016)), switch styles, or modify the reference to which it refers (on this last point, I assume they mean modify the reference as it appears in the bibliography at the end of the paper?).
    Yes to all of these: no adding additional items (without reverting the citation, no switching styles, and no updating the metadata in Zotero (e.g. to fix typos)
    Will this mean that if I add a new citation and reference and thus need to update the bibliography, that the newly updated bibliography will no longer include the references of citations which I have modified and chosen to keep modifcations of??
    No, Zotero will still know the item is in the bibliography and list it there, so you'd be fine on that count
  • Hello, thanks so much to both of you. I've learned a lot from the link damnation posted. I've decided to go back and rejig my citations via Zotero, instead of doing it manually - I didn't realise I could do this. Really good to know the items won't disappear from my bibliography even if I do it manually though. Thanks!