Zotero user data DB version is newer than SQL file

Trying to use Zotero for the first time. Loaded v2.0b6 then discovered it didn't appear compatible with Word 2004. So uninstalled it. Loaded v1.0.10. And now get the above error message in Firefox. And after loading the plugin in word it has an error communicating with firefox. Help?
  • edited August 8, 2009
    http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version

(Zotero 2.0 displays a more helpful error message and a link to that page.)

You can try the experimental Word 2004 plugin, which will be officially released (likely without any changes) within the next few days.
  • Thanks for quick response. So to ensure I don't make matters worse:

The experimental word 2004 plugin is Mac Compatible right?

And I uninstall v.1. And install v2 of Zotero
    And then load the new plugin (do I have to do anything with the v1 plugin I've now got?)

Grateful for the help. Disappeared up my own exhaust pipe too many times today trying to get this working!
  • The experimental word 2004 plugin is Mac Compatible right?
    Word 2004 only exists on the Mac.
    And I uninstall v.1. And install v2 of Zotero
    Don't worry about uninstalling. Just install Zotero 2.0b6 from the front page.
    And then load the new plugin (do I have to do anything with the v1 plugin I've now got?)
    The Word 2004 plugin installer will replace the old version for you.
  • So far so good.... Magnificent - I look forward to becoming a Zotero fan... Top quality support. Thank you.

Just thought - you might want to include on the installer an instruction to close Word if its open before installing..... Just to help those less familiar with installations....?
  • Okay, I have a similar problem as Susan Williams (I think)...

I have been using Zotero for about a year and half and have lots of notes on my old computer (iBookG4) and bought a MacBook Pro and transferred and updated my Zotero. Only problem is that I lost ALL of my notes (hear a dry-heave panic attack in the background). I assume that there was a problem with transferring my old Zotero refs (version unknown) to the 2Beta version on my new computer.

So, I have tried to uninstall Zotero 2b and install 1.1.0 version now on the website but I get the same message about SQL. Okay, so I am so backwards that I don't even know what SQL is, so please, when you respond make it really dumb and clear as to what I should do! I really need these notes in my zotero DB on my new computer....

Thanks!
  • Don't worry—you're not supposed to know what SQL is (and the message has been clarified in later versions). But what do you mean by "I lost ALL of my notes"? How did you attempt to transfer your library?
  • What kind of notes did you have & how did you perform the transfer? Do you still have your original databse from your original iBookG4?

You do not give enough details about how you upgraded for me to know why you don't have notes on your MacBook Pro. Once you upgrade to Zotero 2, there is no way to losslessly revert back to Zotero 1. If you want to use Zotero 1, you'd need to use the original 1.0 version of your database (from the G4).
  • Okay, I did it - thanks! I transferred all my documentation (with notes - the ones that you can put into the Notes tab attached to the reference).
    Now, I have two questions, how can I see that I have a note in the directory of the library; and might I lose my notes if I upgrade to the 2.0 beta version of zotero?
    Thanks again.
  • Notes are stored in the database file used by zotero. They should be preserved when the database is upgraded to the version used by 2.0 (but backing up the data directory before this upgrade is encouraged).

You should see all of your items when "My Library" is selected in the left-most pane. You can expand all of your reference items to show the child attachments (including notes) by by pressing the '+' key when a reference in the middle pane is selected.
  • I am having this same error I reinstalled the lastest version of firefox and Zotero and it still says "zotero user data db version is newer than SQ file.
    What now?
  • Deb: You're not using the latest version, then. Please re-read http://www.zotero.org/support/kb/newer_db_version and check your current version.