disambiguation in APA 7 style

Using American Psychological Association edition 7, it seems that author names are currently disambiguated with initials even when citations refer to different years and involve different coauthors. See below. Shouldn't this only apply when citations would be indistinguishable otherwise? I also checked that given names are entered correctly.

(K. A. Smith et al., 2013) ... (S. M. Smith & Blankenship, 1991)
  • That is correct APA style. When two different first authors have the same surname, initials are added to aid readers in locating the item quickly in the reference list.
  • edited 15 days ago
    Hi,

I have a disambiguation problem. I use the APA 7style.

I have one and the same author entered identically in Zotero.

Author, Firstname M.

Except of one reference (a report), it is now shown (F. M. Author, YEAR) instead of (Author, YEAR), which is quite frustrating.

I'm puzzled. What is going on?

Any help with troubleshooting is most welcome.

Quick fix:
    Close WORD and ZOTERO. Restart both. Refresh Zotero references in Word. No idea why, but this worked for me.
  • It’s not clear to me exactly what you are saying is happening, but as I say above, it is correct APA style to add author initials when multiple authors have the same surname in a document. When two different first authors have the same surname, initials are added to aid readers in locating the item quickly in the reference list.

If that’s not the case here, can you describe in more detail what the behavior is? Please use the actual citations, not “Author” when you give examples.