word plugin doesn't work?

I have used Zotero on windows 10 for months, I use the microsoft word plugin and google chrome. For the last 2 weeks or so I have had trouble adding my citation on Word. I can still save publications to zotero on chrome but when I click add citation on Word, it fails, closes word and I have to open it again.
Does anyone have an idea what's going on? I would reinstall zotero but it'd be a hassle setting it up again.
  • edited March 16, 2020
    What exact version of Word and Windows?

(Reinstalling Zotero doesn't require setting anything up again, but it's also unlikely to make a difference unless you're not running the latest version (currently 5.0.84).)
  • I'm sure it's the latest version of word and windows 10 and yes zotero is 5.0.84. It's confusing because sometimes it works but most of the time it closes word and I have to recover the doc.
  • We need the exact versions.
  • Oh ok.
    Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, version 10.0.18362 Build 18362

Thanks
  • That's not the latest Windows 10 version — there's a more recent one from November. And we need the specific build number for Office.

Generally speaking, a Word crash points to a problem in Word itself, and it's unlikely we can do anything about it. That's why the specific version number matters.

Does this happen in a new, empty document?
  • in word, under about word, it says Version 2003, (Build 12624.20224 Click-to-Run)
    No - I just tried it on a blank word document, it works fine every time.
  • Your software versions seem fine. Since it works fine in a new document try debugging broken documents instructions.