change language without accessing settings inside zotero

Dear all,

I need some help from the zotero experts here. I hope it is okay to create a discussion here.
I managed to change the user interface of zotero to be changed to a non-fully translated language (i think it is gaelic). The issue now is that the "preference" button is not available. I know where it would be but it is not available. Therefore, I am not able to change the language back. I tried the shortcut "cmd -" as described in the documentation, but this does not work either.

Can someone tell me where the language setting is stored (if this is accessible in a settings file or similar) or guide me to any other possibility?

Reinstalling did not help.

Thank you all and best regards
Simon
  • edited March 17, 2020
    There's no preference button, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

If this is a Mac, you can access the preferences via the application menu ("Zotero"), as in any other Mac program. You can also press Cmd-, (Cmd-comma).
  • @toeffsim10: And if you mean "Galego" (Galician-Portuguese), it does look like the Edit menu doesn't appear properly in that locale, though at least on a Mac you can still open the menu — most of the menu options are just blank. Preferences isn't in the Edit menu on macOS anyway, though. If you're using Windows/Linux (and you don't really mean "Cmd", which is a Mac-specific key), Preferences would be the last option in that menu. We'll fix the problem with that locale.
  • Dear all, thanks for your help.
    I could resolve the issue with uninstalling zotero and removing all registry entries and all zotero files still on the machine.
    Just to clear the request again in case anyone wants to reproduce/look into it further.

I am on Windows 10, V. 10.0.18363 and the language selected was indeed "Galego".
    The edit menu didn't appear properly, as "dstillman" mentioned - however on Windows I was not able to open the preferences - as the button wasn't there. The last button on the list was "extended search", which happens to be maintained.

CMD and "," wasn't working as I am on a windows in this case. (I tried using Ctrl and ",")

Nevertheless, thank you very much for your help!
  • Deleting prefs.js from the Zotero profile directory would've done the trick. I'd strongly encourage you to just ask here in the future before trying extreme measures to fix something.

I've fixed the Edit menu in the Galego locale.