Online encyclopedia?

Could I please have suggestions on how best to accommodate this citation requirement for an online encyclopedia, the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography? I have to use CMS. Perhaps I can edit the style?

In any case, I think this is a good argument for having separate print and online categories for things like books and journals and, here, reference sources. There is also a print version, and Oxford wants to make clear which you're using, since the online version is being constantly revised and supplemented, while the print one lags years behind. They cannot be said to represent the same thing, and any fudging would be easily caught by an editor or reviewer. Thus, they mandate certain information in a citation, which I think is fair enough, and which I have to respect for professional reasons. They say it should look like this:

Ian Donaldson, “Jonson, Benjamin (1572–1637),” in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, ed. H. C. G. Matthew and Brian Harrison (Oxford: OUP, 2004); online ed., ed. Lawrence Goldman, October 2008, http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/15116 (accessed August 6, 2009).

The closest I can get now is:
Stuart Handley, “Cotton, Sir Robert Bruce, first baronet (1571–1631),” in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, ed. H. C. G. Matthew, Brian Harrison, and Lawrence Goldman (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004), http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/6425.

Major differences:
- online editor, following the publication info (could I somehow use "series editor"?)
- separate issue dates for article and encyclopedia
- add access date (an optional requirement by CMS--but options are sometimes taken)

Thanks for any ideas
  • edited August 6, 2009
    For date accessed, try Turabian--it is identical to CMS except it includes date accessed with urls. Otherwise, see instructions on how to add date accessed to any Chicago style.

Separate online version issue date and editor require revision of Zotero schema so can't be implemented at the moment in the style. But I think these revisions are coming soon.