Zotero closing unexpectedly

I'm trying to change the location of my data directory, zotero shuts down within seconds after clicking on the custom radio button. Any suggestions?
  • What OS? Are you running any security software that would be preventing Zotero from accessing the filesystem?
  • Windows 10 Enterprise. I will have to check with IT to see if there the security software could be the issue.
  • Windows defender is the only security software
  • Can you find any sort of crash log?

Are you running the latest version of Zotero? 5.0.84?

In any case, I'd guess it's some other system policy or restriction that's causing this. While that may cause other problems, you can try configuring the data directory manually by closing Zotero, going to your Zotero profile directory, opening prefs.js in Notepad, and adding these two lines, or changing them if they exist:

user_pref("extensions.zotero.dataDir", "C:\\Users\\USERNAME\\PATH\\TO\\DIR");
    user_pref("extensions.zotero.useDataDir", true);

(You need to use two backslashes in the path.)
  • No errors reported. 1702752547
    Your solutions works. Thanks.
    File system access in the privacy settings on Windows is on. As is Document library access.
    I've just tried importing and this also cause Zotero to shut down. It happens once the file explorer box opens.
  • Yeah, I'm afraid you'll need to work with your IT department to figure out why that might be crashing on your computer. Zotero is just opening the standard Windows file dialog.