Drag-and-drop and Linked files

One feature of Zotero I love is dropping a PDF into the main window and having Zotero create an item entry and attach the PDF to it.

Can the same feature be achieved using linked files for my PDFs and having them stored in the Dropbox folder I have created? I tried with and without Zotfile and neither orked.

When I drag and drop a PDF from my computer onto Zotero, the default behaviour occurs: an item is created :-) but the file is placed in the Zotero storage folder :-(.
However, when grabbing a PDF through the browser connector, the file is deposited in the location of files folder I set in the Zotfile preferences.

I have a few work arounds, but they involve multiple steps and take time. Is there a way to get the ease of the drag and drop item creation at the same time as using linked files instead of Zotero's storage?

thanks...

/avi

p.s. I set the Zotfile "Location of files" and the Zotero "Linked attachment base directory" to the same dropbox folder.
  • If you drag and drop holding down Ctrl+Shift (Windows/Linux) or Cmd+Option (Mac) while dropping, Zotero creates a link to the file in its current location.

If you want to use ZotFile to move the file to a new location, this does require multiple steps: drag & drop, then either wait for Zotero to automatically retrieve metadata or manually add a parent item where that fails, then use Zotfile's "Manage Attachments --> Rename attachments" to move (and rename) the PDF.
  • Thanks!
    I missed the Cmd+Option trick.
    But the second route is even better. Despite the extra step, it's a smoother workflow for me (because both steps are in the Zotero interface). I didn't realize that under the hood of "Rename attachments" was a 'move file' operation as well.
    cheers,
    /avi