pdfextraction colors

hi,
i discovered the possibility -hidden in Zotfile- of differentiating by highlight color the annotations made in a PDF.
i wonder if it is possible to change the name of the color itself into something more meaningful. for example the intended meaning (e.g. disagreement) for the annotations made in yellow.
now it works this way:

Yellow Annotations (2/16/2020, 11:26:15 PM)
"De excaecant vi quaslibet is inquirere. Hoc usu digna solis fieri. Rum ima concipitur producatur cui requiratur." (Quidam Jr 1995:314)

i would like to be able to customize the "yellow annotations" into "disagreeement annotations"

best
maurizio
  • Hi there,

i have the same issue like you Maurizio. Unfortunately, your question remained unanswered so far. Have you found a solution for this in the meantime? Or can anyone else help with this now?

Is there a way to assign a different name to Yellow?
    This is how it looks in my note now:
    "(Yellow) - highlighted text ( :1)

I renamed the values assigned to extensions-zotfile.pdfExtraction.colorCategories but this did not change the generated text output.

My second-best option would be to maintain the highlighted background in the notes but get rid of the color description. Any suggestions how this could be realized?

Best wishes,
    Simon

• hi simon, nothing until now.
    question is, i feel, that this has to do more with (the author of) Zotfile than with Zotero itself.
    i did - as i am able to - a lot of tampering with color codes, color names, etc. but with no success.
    i think that we would need the help of the author of Zotfile, Joscha Legewie.
    best
    maurizio
  • hi simon,
    i reviewed what i had done on my mac with no success.
    i had opened the config editor and changed the name of color "green" into "agreed" (i use the colors to split the annotations into 3 categories: rejected, dubious, agreed).

i then opened a PDF form inside Zotero with the system PDF viewer (not Acrobat but Preview); put a green highlight on a few words; extracted the annotations with the idea that the green highlight should produce an "agreed annotations" note file. but not, the name remained "green annotations".

i tested if this could depend on the fact that Zotfile is tuned onto Acrobat Reader, but everything was the same even if i opened the PDF with Acrobat Reader but the results were the same - the name was green annotations.

tapering with the hex color codes was a desperate attempt, and yelded nothing.

you probably tried differently?
    best
    maurizio

• @jgb569 "My second-best option would be to maintain the highlighted background in the notes but get rid of the color description. Any suggestions how this could be realized?"

Turn off (chose “false”) .pdfExtraction.colorAnnotations.

Then the extracted annotations maintain the highlight color, but no longer are preceded by the text description of the color, e.g. (Yellow). Additionally, the underlined comments are shown merely as underlined text without any color.

When you export the extractions to a markdown file, the background color of the highlights is not visible; just the text and citation is visible. This may be the reason the color values are displayed when this preference is set to “true,” as then the colors are indicated in text, i.e., (Yellow), and the reader would then know what color the highlight was. The .pdfExtraction.colorCategories string shows the color values used, e.g., “Yellow”.

Also, for underlines, you need to remove the underline by clicking the underline button U in toolbar, and then insert , respectively, before and after the text, and it will appear in markdown as underlined text and citation. Otherwise, the comment appears as a #### heading.

William