openoffice on Linux doesn't work with Zotero cites from WinXP

I've been working on a document on my Win XP machine using open office with Zotero. I decided to move the document to my Gentoo Linux machine where I have OpenOffice 3.0.0.3 and the same zotero 2.0b6.3.

Openoffice opens my document just fine, but when I tried to edit the first Zotero field, OpenOffice froze. I tried re-installing Open Office and Zotero as well as Zotero on Firefox, and I read elsewhere to try the experimental Zotero_OpenOffice_Integration.oxt. After installation, the problem recurred.

Here is the associated error number: 1221608658

What else should I try?

Thanks.
  • I assume you have synced both computers?
  • edited July 31, 2009
    Mulitple times with re-installs of everything.
  • Does a new document work in OO on Linux?

If not: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#word_processor_freezing
  • Thanks for the speedy response. Starting a document in Gentoo Linux does not allow me to use Zotero. The error message is "An error occurred contacting Zotero. Please ensure that Firefox is open and try again."

As suggested in the link, I tried disabling jre. This had no effect on the error.

I tried updating to Openoffice 3.1 in a variety of ways. Gentoo Linux has marked this release as unstable, so I tried downloading directly from open office and trying a manual install. The program failed to install due to some internal problem. Manual installation by modification of OO-3.1 ebuilds from Gentoo were a bit beyond my capabilities.

It looks like I need to either just wait a few days or weeks until OO-3.1 is stable on Gentoo running on an AMD x86-64 (safest on Gentoo), continue to try my hand at modifying/stabilizing the package on my machine (dubious) or use a different system, unless you have any additional suggestions. Changing Linux flavors is not a real option.

Thanks.