MSI Installer

Hi All,

I just downloaded the software and did not see an MSI installer just an EXE
Does an MSI installer exist for Zotero? if so, where can I find it?
  • No, we currently only have the NSIS installer, though that will almost certainly change in the future.
  • edited May 13, 2022
    @dstillman Do you have any updates on the status of an MSI installer offering?
  • Hello,

I've got the same issue.

I would like to install zotero for a customer (few users), but I can't do it via intune with an EXE.

Did you planned changing the packaging to MSI ?
    I think MSI will do the job for all users, while an EXE do the job only for the users that want to install it manually.

I know that zotero is open source, and I greatly thank you for that. Perhaps I can try to contribute if you do not have enough time to change packaging ?

Regards,
  • edited June 22, 2022
    This isn't something we're currently working on.

Note that there's a ZIP version of Zotero, in case that's helpful. You can change "win32" to "win32-zip" in the download URL to get it. You'd have to place the program files into "Program Files (x86)\Zotero" manually, and you'd want to set various file handlers in the registry.

Zotero's installer is based on an older version of Firefox's NSIS-based installer. It looks like they do offer an MSI installer for current builds for enterprises, but as they explain there, it's just a wrapper around the full NSIS installer, so I'm not sure how useful that would be for you.